• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Last fall at Knob Creek my cousin and I got a great deal on .224 55gr pulled bullets.

I sat down and sorted through these bullets, and have 2 piles:

1 pile of good looking projectiles. These have minor to no damage to the projectile at all, they look really good to me. They feel nice and concentric when you roll em in your fingers, or at most you will feel a slight out of round feeling. This composes roughly 2/3 rds of total count

1 The rejects so far. About 1/2 of this pile is really bad, there is definite flat spots on the sides of the projectiles, looks like whatever pulled these were over tensioned perhaps? The other half of the pile is out of round enough that they did not make the cut for pile above. If I were a little less concerned about quality, they would have made the first pile.

Having never owned or used the kinds of projectiles, I'm not sure what quality is to be expected. Even when I factor in the rejects, we still got a great deal on them,so I'm not desperate to use em.

I guess my question is how out of round can a projectile be before you should not try to load it and shoot it?

I know that these are not going to be match rounds or anything, but I will be working up a load regardless. These projectiles would probably be used for general plinking, so I am not too awful worried, but would certainly like to pull a decent group with them.

Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    They will load and shoot fine, sure you might get less accuracy from the dinged up ones, if that matters to you just put them in a different box after loading.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    :rofl::rofl: OH MY GOD :rofl::rofl:

I'm Sorry, I can't help it. Just finished reading the "Guns are less regulated than my uterus" thread and the way it devolved, link: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ess_regulated_then_my_uterus.html#post3726457 and then read this and immediately lost it.

I'm truly sorry, I don't have an answer, but I couldn't NOT post this. It was just too perfect of a coincidence.

You will get an answer shortly I am sure. But read the above mentioned thread and this and you will see what I mean. :D

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I bought a couple thousand machine pulled tracers a while back. Some were flattened a little and had marks on them.

My solution was to buy a .224 Lee bullet sizing die for around 20 bucks and run the bad ones through it. Made them nice and round and smoothed out some of the marks. Definitely an improvement over their original condition.

YMMV

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    You are right.

I bought a couple thousand machine pulled tracers a while back. Some were flattened a little and had marks on them.

My solution was to buy a .224 Lee bullet sizing die for around 20 bucks and run the bad ones through it. Made them nice and round and smoothed out some of the marks. Definitely an improvement over their original condition.

YMMV
    Works like a charm. +1 for good solution. BTW OP if you are located near Indy I'll loan you mine.

Last edited:

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Thanks for the offer Dave, but I am in Lafayette. Seems like that would be a handy die to have anyways!

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm going to pick up one of those dies and run the reject batch through them.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for the offer Dave, but I am in Lafayette. Seems like that would be a handy die to have anyways!

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm going to pick up one of those dies and run the reject batch through them.

I'd be very interested to hear how those come out and how accurate they are, when you're done.

Would it be possible to load up ~20 of the beat up bullets and shoot them for group, then 20 of the ones you run through the bullet sizing die? It might be cool to have some idea how bad the accuracy really would be? Just a thought.

Top Bottom