• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    Does anyone have one of these in .44? What do you think? Can a scope be mounted on it?

I have done some research and have read that Marlin seems to take a scope better, but Buds's guns has the Puma for less than $400.00.:dunno:

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    The Pumas are a great value, but if there's any part of you that thinks an optic is in the cards, ya know the old saying "cry once" -get the Marlin.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Even if you could put a scope on a Puma (and the only real option is their 'scout' mount), it just would not be right! Stick with a good peep site for the Puma. Marlin is hands down the better platform for optics.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I have been looking at a Puma b/c my Wife is a lefty and I figure the top eject would be a better bet if we both shoot it from time to time.

I suppose the biggest drawback is the challenge associated with optics.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The columbus Gunsmith has put mounts on the Puma with no problems, It's definitely not a no gunsmithing mount but a friend put it on a 454 and it works great. Also Puma has a scout model which I had one of the scouts in 44 I used for deer with the factory 2.5 and works pretty good,

Look for a scout if you really want to save yourself some time

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm a huge fan of the Puma 92 44 mags. I've bought three and my uncle wanted one so bad I had to sell it to him so now I only have two. They are outstanding rifles but they are not for the guys who want/need a scope easily. I plan on buying a scout model at some point myself because I would like to have a lot of these guns eventually.

One thing nobody has mentioned yet, and it was one of the reasons I bought the Puma 92 instead of the marlin is the marlins reputation for being finicky about feeding ammo. Go over to Marlinowners.com and look up how many people are having problems with their 44mag's jamming. It seems to be pretty hit or miss, but there's a lot of guys out there having problems.

It's easier to put a scope on a mariln and take it back off. The puma scout model is going to be a scope only for as long as you have it. Hopefully this helps.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I haven't personally had a Marlin Lever action jam, but most of the jamming complaints I've read have been with the LeverEvolution ammo and needing to VIGOROUSLY cycle the action. They're not dainty guns and don't like to be treated as such. Wouldn't make me shy away from the Marlin.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I haven't personally had a Marlin Lever action jam, but most of the jamming complaints I've read have been with the LeverEvolution ammo and needing to VIGOROUSLY cycle the action. They're not dainty guns and don't like to be treated as such. Wouldn't make me shy away from the Marlin.

I bought my 44mag a couple years ago before the leverevelution ammo came out. Guys were complaining about soft point & jacketed hollow point ammo. I agree though, you have to really work the level on a marlin till it smooths out and breaks in.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Marlin is made in USA. Puma in brazil or italy. If you are going to spend 400 on a puma 44 why not savce an american a job and spend 100 more for the marlin.

The 92 action is smoother than the marlin. The marlin is easier to mantain. Used marlin 1894 in 44 mag can be found in Indiana for 400.

2000fxstb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    If you want a real good lever gun then you should save up and go with the henry they are tack drivers with any ammo as for the marlin they are pickey about ammo they like the white box win. best. I have not had a puma but a friend has and it was ok you had to rack the lever fast to get it to load . henry makes a scope mount it costs about 20 bucks but you will need a gunsmith to put it on good luck with what ever you pick happy shooting

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have been looking at a Puma b/c my Wife is a lefty and I figure the top eject would be a better bet if we both shoot it from time to time.

I suppose the biggest drawback is the challenge associated with optics.
    I am a lefty and have no problems with the marlin ejection.:twocents:

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    I have a Puma M92 in .44. I like it. Its accurate (2.5" at 100 with receiver sight) with just about any reasonable combination.

That being said I want a Marlin for the ease of scope mounting while working up loads, ease of installing aperture sights, and feeding longer cartridges.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have been testing a Puma in 454. Nice gun. Was on the edge about buying it because of the round when I read this thread.

Guess I will take it back to him now, since I planned to scope the thing out if I kept it.

hoosier44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    St. Joseph county IN
    Does anyone have one of these in .44? What do you think? Can a scope be mounted on it?

I have done some research and have read that Marlin seems to take a scope better, but Buds's guns has the Puma for less than $400.00.:dunno:

I got one in .44 / stainless a couple years ago in a trade. I love the gun, but others posting are correct. very tough to scope. my gunsmith says Square B makes a scout mount, but I believe it's discontinued. I am considering trading/selling mine for a ruger 77/44 or ruger carbine. I know lots of guys that shoot the Marlin, and havent heard a cpmplaint. Back to the puma, mine has the fiber optic sights. 75 yards and under, its very accurate. I pursued the scope option for picking out deer in dense cover or low light. I passed a shot on a buck this year because I just couldnt line him up with the sights. My son was with me and dropped him dead with a 37 deerslayer and 4X scope. we stepped it at about 80 yds. in dense woods.

Top Bottom