Tippecanoe county
    DSC_9626p2w.jpg

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    If I' not mistaken, I think that the state only allows X number of certified public engineering schools. When I was at Ball State I was in the Manufacturing Engineering program. This was a sister program with Purdue, same courses and content and students could transfer between schools and keep their credits. However since Purdue had the engineering license/title, Ball States program had to have "Technology" added to the end of the program name.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I know that the one school in West Lafayette fought tooth and nail to keep the University of Southern Indiana from having a bona-fide Engineering undergrad program.

Now, however, my Alma Mater does indeed now have a bachelor's program. Engineering - University of Southern Indiana

Competition is never a bad thing. As long as all the programs meet the requirements of the regional accreditation body - then who cares.

That one school in West Lafayette really didn't want to lose it's "only state school with an engineering program" bragging rights.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I notice the press release does not say what discipline(s) of engineering their new Bachelors and Ph.D in "Engineering" will be.

Pesky, pesky details...

Good for IU, good for students all over Indiana...perhaps a little STEM would do those folks in Monroe County some good.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The one thing I can't figure out is how this will affect the Indianapolis campus.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Don't we hear all the time, the complaints of how difficult it is to get American kids to go into the STEM fields? Apparently, they've decided there's enough demand (either gone unsatisfied or they'll take customers away from others) to be able to make a go of this. But just thinking out loud...if there is a shortage of American kids going this route, are they counting on being able to attract foreign students? Don't non-residents pay a higher tuition rate?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Don't we hear all the time, the complaints of how difficult it is to get American kids to go into the STEM fields? Apparently, they've decided there's enough demand (either gone unsatisfied or they'll take customers away from others) to be able to make a go of this. But just thinking out loud...if there is a shortage of American kids going this route, are they counting on being able to attract foreign students? Don't non-residents pay a higher tuition rate?

Typically, international students is guaranteed money, because they have to pay their tuition for the entire year before matriculating. Non-resident domestic students pay a premium to attend, which can be as much as a third higher. IU has a huge international presence, as does Purdue, so maybe this is the target audience. If a domestic student from Ohio, Illinois, or Michigan is interested in Engineering, I can't see them leaving their state to attend IU, initially.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I notice the press release does not say what discipline(s) of engineering their new Bachelors and Ph.D in "Engineering" will be.

Pesky, pesky details...

Good for IU, good for students all over Indiana...perhaps a little STEM would do those folks in Monroe County some good.

Probably Social Engineering... Maybe they'll bring community organizing next to align with their politics :stickpoke:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Pesky, pesky details...

I wouldn't think it to be out of the realm of possibility that the engineering program at IU would ride on the coat-tails of the current big-time undergrad programs. Environmental "stuff", geological "stuff", bio-medical, etc. But PU already has these things despite not being known for being much of a life-sciences / environmental type of a school.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Will be interesting to see for sure. Purdue has a great business school (Krannert) that is nearly on par with IU Kelley. Seems like breaking into the engineering ranks will take a while, but with the experience gained from the IU / PU partnerships around the state, I'm sure its a matter of time.

Like Que said, I doubt it will do much to compete with RHIT or many of the other smaller private engineering schools in the midwest since market as a private school is already much different than a state school market. Not throwing stones and getting on my high horse trying to say Rose is better than Purdue or that they have different quality of students, etc. by that statement, but mean it literally in that they aren't often competing for the same students.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not competing for the same students.... EXACTLY.

Which is why I found it difficult to swallow that the One school was fighting USI also having a program.

They weren't competing for 99% of the same students anyhow. And was the fight really worth the 1% who WERE cross-shopping PU and USI?

Doesn't make sense to me - until you I realized that it was all about money from the Legislature. ;)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Typically, international students is guaranteed money, because they have to pay their tuition for the entire year before matriculating. Non-resident domestic students pay a premium to attend, which can be as much as a third higher. IU has a huge international presence, as does Purdue, so maybe this is the target audience. If a domestic student from Ohio, Illinois, or Michigan is interested in Engineering, I can't see them leaving their state to attend IU, initially.

It's been a very long time since I've price shopped and compared costs for attending different universities. But back when I was going to UTK, there were a couple of girls that lived in the apartment below us (and yes, they were pretty hot) that were from Pennsylvania--at least one of them was. I asked them about why they'd go out of state and pay the OOS tuition, etc...one of them said even with the OOS tuition, it was cheaper to come down there than stay home. Doubt that is still true but I was amazed at that time.

Top Bottom