Purchase a firearm using the paper "temporary" DL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Nope. Not so. If you're a proper person and got your new license with a current address... you're green light. There's no 7-10 (or any other time frame) wait. The only wait at that point is if you get delayed by the feds.

I walked into the BMV with my Ohio DL, and walked out with a paper Indiana temporary DL. My official, plastic Indiana DL arrived via mail, 7-10 business days later. So yes: in my case, it was quite so (unfortunately).

The worst part was, I was flying out-of-state for work at the time. So I flew out of IND on the paper DL (TSA at IND didn't even bat an eye at it), but flying home, I got the full-on, secondary inspection/get-felt-up treatment from TSA at STL. But that's a story for another day.

I waited until I had my official DL before attempting to purchase any firearms in Indiana. Next time I'm in Plainfield Shooting Supply, I'll have to ask Bob how he handles the paper DL in lieu of a permanent DL.

cziemer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Monticello
    I will add that even new paper + old address plastic license isn't accepted everywhere. One of the guys who works under me has a Ruger LC9s on layaway at Rural King due to this exact issue. He told them his address was wrong, they told him to go update it, came back with the paper copy the next day and the guy behind the counter, who told him to go update it the day before, about died. He printed him out the email that says they will no longer accept any temporary drivers licenses, that was dated from that morning. That was last week, and he's still waiting on his new DL.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I will add that even new paper + old address plastic license isn't accepted everywhere. One of the guys who works under me has a Ruger LC9s on layaway at Rural King due to this exact issue. He told them his address was wrong, they told him to go update it, came back with the paper copy the next day and the guy behind the counter, who told him to go update it the day before, about died. He printed him out the email that says they will no longer accept any temporary drivers licenses, that was dated from that morning. That was last week, and he's still waiting on his new DL.

Any ID combination like that is left up to the FFL. The ATF will accept it but the FFL doesn't have to.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I disagree with that, not more than 3 months ago I became a fulltime Indiana resident and got my Indiana drivers license and I picked up two firearms from different gun stores with the paper license and nothing else.
    Neither shop questioned my temp license.

Did the paper copy have your complete DL number on it? If it did that's new since I did 4473s. If not, I hope the shops don't get an ATF audit anytime soon.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Any ID combination like that is left up to the FFL. The ATF will accept it but the FFL doesn't have to.
    This^.
    Did the paper copy have your complete DL number on it? If it did that's new since I did 4473s. If not, I hope the shops don't get an ATF audit anytime soon.
    As recently as today, the paper ones I've seen do not have the complete number. It's "X"d out.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    True story boys and girls. When they came out with the paper id's I called the ATF and asked how to work with these. I was told they were fine and at the time they were taking the hard copies of the license. I was told just to put the x's in where the dl number would go. Was told it was good for voting or getting pulled over so it was fine. We did this. I waited to comment after I read this because we were in the middle of an audit by the ATF. The closing meeting was today and I addressed this with them. I was told that I was not written up for that because it is fine. I was again told the paper id is legit and ok to use. But I do see where other shops said they were told differently. I guess it depends on who you deal with there at the ATF. I was also told I could do a few other things that I was told I could not do during the last audit a year ago. Until I'm told otherwise, I've been told we can use the paper copies twice by the ATF(again today after an audit) and will continue to do so.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I guess it depends on who you deal with there at the ATF. I was also told I could do a few other things that I was told I could not do during the last audit a year ago..

thats very true, during one audit we were told no abbreviations ANYWHERE on the form, when we pointed out the line on the back that says "(e.g.virginia drivers license (VA DL) or other valid goverment photo id) we were told "fbi made that form, we're the atf, spell everything out!"

so we made people spell out Indiana in that little box for state, we made them write up at a angle, at the next audit an atf agent asked why we made everybody spell out indiana?, then they said that you can abbreviate in two spots (the street address box, and the state box), but we still have to spell out "Indiana Operators license" (fyi indiana dosent have a drivers license, its an operators license!, how many of you are looking at your license right now?)

like others said its at the ffl holders discretion, its their livelyhood at stake!, they pay the fines, loose their ffl and they could go to jail!, until im told by the person who owns the shop, indiana temp liceneses have to have the old plastic ones to be valid!, if you or your shop do things differently thats up to you.(just like the 3 day delay)

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Girlfriend used paper Id at bradis last October no problem. They were kind of confused and then mark said it's legal. They also had a sign at that time saying you had to have a valid drivers license. Well she still has a permit and they were confused still. Thanks Mark for straightening that all out for us. She got her gun they got their money everyone I'm sure was happy.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    thats very true, during one audit we were told no abbreviations ANYWHERE on the form, when we pointed out the line on the back that says "(e.g.virginia drivers license (VA DL) or other valid goverment photo id) we were told "fbi made that form, we're the atf, spell everything out!"

so we made people spell out Indiana in that little box for state, we made them write up at a angle, at the next audit an atf agent asked why we made everybody spell out indiana?, then they said that you can abbreviate in two spots (the street address box, and the state box), but we still have to spell out "Indiana Operators license" (fyi indiana dosent have a drivers license, its an operators license!, how many of you are looking at your license right now?)

like others said its at the ffl holders discretion, its their livelyhood at stake!, they pay the fines, loose their ffl and they could go to jail!, until im told by the person who owns the shop, indiana temp liceneses have to have the old plastic ones to be valid!, if you or your shop do things differently thats up to you.(just like the 3 day delay)

...because spelling out or abbreviating "Indiana" is really going to help ensure that prohibited persons don't purchase firearms?

Good job (as usual), ATF!

Top Bottom