• ...and so much more!
  • rw65hdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Niles
    Hey,
    I just joined the site and had a question. I am a Michigan resident but live on the border. I have purchase new long guns at Dick's etc but wondered if I can purchase long guns from private sellers withpout a FFL. I know that pistol purchases require a FFL to be legal but wondered about long guns. Thanks for any help with this question.
    Ron
    P.S. If this is in the wrong place I am sorry. It seemed like a general ? to me.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    All interstate firearm purchases, handgun or long-gun, must go through an FFL. For long guns, it can be in either of the contiguous states, but handgun must go through purchaser's state FFL

rw65hdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Niles
    Ok, I purchased guns from Dick's in indiana. I take it they are an FFL dealer and that is why I could make the pruchase. So if I want to buy a gun from a Indiana resident I have to have it go to an FFL and he would have to send it to a FFL in michigan or can I just buy get it from him?
    Thanks

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You would have to either get the long-gun sent to a MI FFL, or arrange for an IN FFL to transfer it to you. You can't just buy it from him and call it a day.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    To clarify, the long gun doesn't have to be shipped from one FFL to another FFL. You just have to have an FFL in either state perform the transfer.

rw65hdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Niles
    So if I wanted to buy a rifle from you I could just pay a local to you FFL dealer to do the transfer??? You would have to take it there and I would go there and he would do paper work? I have seen on the boards I watch that it usually costs $25 to do a transfer. I take it this is what they are talking about.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's my understanding of the new rules. I am not a lawyer, but I watch a lot of TV, so I'm an expert at TV law.

rw65hdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Niles
    I am not an FFL holder but I stayed at holiday inn express last night so I think that counts. Really guys, Thanks for the help. I just figured being so close to indiana that it makes sense to have the option to purchase there also. If I watch for fair deals $25 extra for FFl is not going to kill the deals. I have been looking at your site for a while now and it has some thing the MGO site doesn't. I really like the zombie help section. I am going to start checking around for some guys that are FFL either indiana or michigan so if I see something I have to have I will have it set up and know what to do.
    Thansk again for youe quick replies to my questions.
    Ron
    P.S. I think I will stop at a local gun store inSouth bend and see if they can handle pistol sales also or if I can only buy long guns.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    IIRC, per Federal law, pistol sales must go through an FFL in your state.

You also need to check the laws in your state, since the Federal law specifically says that the deal must also be in accordance with the state law of both states of the transfer.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I am not an FFL holder but I stayed at holiday inn express last night so I think that counts. Really guys, Thanks for the help. I just figured being so close to indiana that it makes sense to have the option to purchase there also. If I watch for fair deals $25 extra for FFl is not going to kill the deals. I have been looking at your site for a while now and it has some thing the MGO site doesn't. I really like the zombie help section. I am going to start checking around for some guys that are FFL either indiana or michigan so if I see something I have to have I will have it set up and know what to do.
    Thansk again for youe quick replies to my questions.
    Ron
    P.S. I think I will stop at a local gun store inSouth bend and see if they can handle pistol sales also or if I can only buy long guns.

Talk to Steve @ Indiana Arms & Ammunition in South Bend. He's a real good guy. He told me once that since he lives in Michigan & has a shop in Indiana, he can also sell handguns to MI residents. I'm not sure what kind of paperwork he has filed in order to do that. Has a smallish shop though. It's across from the Hell's Angels clubhouse on Indiana just a couple blocks west of Michigan St.

rw65hdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Niles
    Thank you all for help. I will talk to Steve, I am just north of his store. I think it is great that you guys will take time to help inform and educate those of us that are just getting into it or back into it like me. Up to last year I had not purchased or sold a gun for years (thought I owned enough) and I have only been in Michigan for 5yrs. Originally from Ohio. Thanks again.
    Ron

Top Bottom