Purchased my first "1911" (22LR) last night!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Well glad you got it home. Have you wore off the finish yet? There is nothing better than a 1911 in either cal. Let us know how it shoots.

Haha! Not quite yet, but I did already break it down, wiped what little oil was on it (it was darn near bone dry), and oiled it. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Haha! Not quite yet, but I did already break it down, wiped what little oil was on it (it was darn near bone dry), and oiled it. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend!

1. Beautiful!!! That's is what I've got, as well.
    2. I went over to ZR Tactical to get a Browning 1911 that had been upgraded and didn't like the 85% size and lightweight, and since they had a GSG there with literally $500+ in upgrades: I had to have it ($350). I wouldn't have done it last summer, but I'm learning to spend a little more on a gun for my pleasure, and perhaps hold on to it long-term.
    3. With as little use as I am going to give it (have so many 22LRs to shoot including another 1911-22), I didn't need an upgraded one, I just thought it would be better than any other 1911-22 I would be tempted to buy. I always wanted to have the Colt/Walther 1911, but now I will give that up. (Had the Sig).
    4. I truly love shooting it.
    5. I have been accused of loving 22LRs so much b/c it takes cheap ammo, and I had to laugh b/c there is so much truth to that: I know my limitations.
    :laugh:

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    There's nothing wrong at all about loving to shoot pistols that take cheap ammo! Especially, when that ammo is plentiful like it is now.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    So, I got it out to the range yesterday. It shoot amazingly! Remington Golden Bullet had a couple of rounds that didn't run the slide completely and a couple that nose dived in the mag, but the CCI Mini Mags had no issues at all. I'm going to need to switch out the front sight. It came with the largest one on it and 4 extras. It was shooting a bit low. So, I'm going to try the middle one and see where I'm at. I didn't want to try to do that at the range. I'm good at losing small items and probably would've lost at least one sight. All in all, very happy!

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I have been reseraching these (1911 22 lr) the past month. Can't decide on the actual 1911 type gun or the ruger mark iv 22/45. The regular (not lite) mark 4 can b had for a little over 300. The ruger name and quality have me leaning this way over the gsg / walther / colt / sig 1911 22 builds. Any experience?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I have been reseraching these (1911 22 lr) the past month. Can't decide on the actual 1911 type gun or the ruger mark iv 22/45. The regular (not lite) mark 4 can b had for a little over 300. The ruger name and quality have me leaning this way over the gsg / walther / colt / sig 1911 22 builds. Any experience?

I'm a big fan of Ruger in general. They make quality firearms. While I've only taken it for one range session, I've had my GSG taken down a couple times now. It feels like a quality piece that I feel will hold up. I've heard that the Sig branded 1911-22 is made by GSG, FWIW.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm a big fan of Ruger in general. They make quality firearms. While I've only taken it for one range session, I've had my GSG taken down a couple times now. It feels like a quality piece that I feel will hold up. I've heard that the Sig branded 1911-22 is made by GSG, FWIW.

1. I’m a huge 22LR fan and have a dozen of them.
    2. What bothers me is that “all “ of them have others manufacturing 22LRs and the big names put their brand on them.
    3. This is why I bought the SW MP Compact instead of popular Ruger, Walther and Baretta in certain comparable models.
    4. The SW was all done in-house.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I’be owned them and / or rented them and researched all of them and the Ruger Mark 4 would be my pick.

2. Ironically, I own the GSG & RIA 1911-22 and the Beretta Neos, SW A-1, SW MP Compact and others and never bought the Mark 4 b/c I ‘d already owned one years ago.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    1. I’m a huge 22LR fan and have a dozen of them.
    2. What bothers me is that “all “ of them have others manufacturing 22LRs and the big names put their brand on them.
    3. This is why I bought the SW MP Compact instead of popular Ruger, Walther and Baretta in certain comparable models.
    4. The SW was all done in-house.

Are you saying the Rugers aren't made in house? I've not heard this before.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are you saying the Rugers aren't made in house? I've not heard this before.

It has been awhile since I did my research before I bought my SW MP Compact after finding out the Beretta and Walther, and I thought Ruger (but perhaps not, I could have that mixed up with other feeding issues I came across) were made my Umarex and/or GSG.
    I was all set to buy a certain model of Beretta, then found out they didn't even make it, like a certain Walther, the same.
    I always wanted a Colt 1911-22 and found out it was really a Walther which might have been another manufacturer when it got down to it.
    Sorry, I should have made notes: it can be hard to find out the answer to who really manufacturers a gun for a company.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I went and got this:

Beretta M9-22
    Aug 24, 2016 - The gun itself is not made by Beretta, but made by Umarex who makes many other 22 clones,
    like the Colt 1911-22 and Smith & Wesson M&P22 pistols.

SIG Sauer markets a .22LR based on the 1911 platform, but it is manufactured by GSG

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    You got me thinking about the s&w m&p compact 22lr. I like that it's all usa by s&w. Also, i have a shield and it would be a good trainer and familiar. Cost is low $300 (so similar to ruger 2245). I've watched the reviews online. Most are very positive. Any thoughts?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You got me thinking about the s&w m&p compact 22lr. I like that it's all usa by s&w. Also, i have a shield and it would be a good trainer and familiar. Cost is low $300 (so similar to ruger 2245). I've watched the reviews online. Most are very positive. Any thoughts?

1. I have spent countless hours trying to find the dirt on all the semi-automatic 22LRs.
    2. Long story short, in the $300 - $400 range, nothing was as consistent as the SW MP Compact .22LR. Some had good luck with the Ruger and Walthers but some had issues. I literally could not find any complaints about theirs. Rugers and Walthers were for sale used regularly, but the Compact never was (that I remember): people just don't give them up.
    3. I buy all kinds of 22LR, even the "lowly" Bersa Thunder, and it b/c I wanted a stainless/nickel smallish size in additions to my bigger
    4. I have even smaller (Beretta tip-up barrel) and I have bigger. I love everything from the Beretta Neos to the SW A-1 to the 1911-22s that I have.
    5. I bought mine at Rural King when they were having a sale. Hoosier Armory had them for $328 and $329 (suppressor ready) (best new prices I've found locally).

Top Bottom