Purchasing a gun at a self-storage auction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Why do people store things like gun in storage units that 1) are obviously places where people store stuff, and 2) are usually secured only by a padlock?

TF basically has the answer. Especially for people moving from another city or state. I don't know how many of my customers are storing guns without using a safe, but I have seen gun safes go in and out, particularly in the climate controlled units. As far as security...if you know a particular unit has guns in it, that's one thing, but otherwise you're generally talking about several hundred identical doors, so the risk that YOUR particular unit will be hit is lowered. As well, if the facility has fences, gates, lights, and cameras, random burglars are inclined to go to facilities that do not. In my local area we had a guy running around breaking into storage units, but he concentrated on the ones with no security other than the door lock -- he could drive up to their doors right off the street. Broke in, rifled around for small valuables like jewelry, and moved on. Still got caught eventually (turned out he had just got out of prison for doing basically the same thing. Rehab didn't work, I guess).

I have sold contents of a number of units, but not run across any guns yet... Lots of dusty Christmas decorations tho!

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Well, I'm late to the party but if you click on the pic and make it supersize, I believe that is an airsoft m14. look at the top joint of the handgard.. the stock ferrule looks to be half broken, and there looks to be a selector switch. To me, it just has the overall look of an airsoft. how many upper sling swivels have you seen riveted on the stock?

I have seen very few guns come out of storage units, you just gotta run the numbers to see if they are not stolen, as you have an iron clad receipt showing where you got them, and who owned the unit before.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a feeling the ending price for that unit will be north of $1000. Auction fever will strike hard.

Hell I bet the bidding starts at $1500 then heads north.

I no longer attend any auctions or gun sales or shows. Its just stupid what stuff goes for. I have no idea why in this day and age when a guy can slide his phone out of his pocket and check current prices on things. People are dumb and blow cash on pure junk.

Wonderful though if you want to sell.;) I always like selling tools, archery, fishing stuff, gun stuff, motorcycles.....it all sells quick and for good cash.

Top Bottom