Purchasing a Mosin Nagant, background check needed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iseden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Muncie
    Hello everyone, new to firearms and am looking to purchase a mosin. My question is will a background heck have to be ran? Also how long do those take on average? I am 19 and have no doubt I will pass the check but I am in a bit of a time constraint. Thanks!

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I believe you will, if you are buying from a licensed dealer. Figure 15 min or so, unless, like me, your name is similar to a convicted felon. Don't freak out if you get delayed. And ,welcome!! PS- Mosins are fun! Shop around, get some cheap ammo, and don't put off the cleaning after shooting- a 30 cal. boresnake w/ hot soapy water [4 or 5 passes] followed by clean patches to dry the barrel, oily patches last, you'll be good.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    You guys sound so, well, *****y. is it so unreasonable to figure the guy wants to go shooting for the first time over the weekend with some friends? Nice intro.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    You guys sound so, well, *****y. is it so unreasonable to figure the guy wants to go shooting for the first time over the weekend with some friends? Nice intro.

(N)ational
    (I)nstant criminal background
    (C)heck
    (S)ystem

The (I) is the key part.

I have never heard someone imply they prefer no background check because they dont have the time. I imagine many other havent either. Of course, some will question him.

I recognize this is probably his first firearm purchase and isnt aware of the NICS procedure.

There will be a form, read it carefully, be thoughtful when it comes to the words country and county. You CAN be white and latino at the same time.

Let the person behind the counter know its your first time. If theyre worth a damn, they will slow down for you, so your not pressured to finish it in 8 seconds like they want you to normally.

Drivers license is needed.

Anything I miss??

Congrats on the forthcoming purchase.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Figured as much-I've had delays pretty routinely,and have a lifetime carry permit. Had to wait about a week one time, to buy a 30-30 Marlin rifle. The "instant" part, like most things governmental, is up to them. Again, welcome to the forum!

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I dont get it? is 900 posts a year good or bad?

and is this figured on an average? Because Ive probably had 300 posts in the last 2 months, and I want to know if I need to lay off abit on the INGO for the rest of the year so that I dont go all tacticool.

:stickpoke:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Welcome Iseden! :ingo: As others mentioned, it's best to know what you're looking for. Bore condition matters! Take a bore light with you if you can. Good luck and have fun with it.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Hello fellow INGO member from Muncie! If you are TRUELY interested in getting a Mosin, I recommend you just stop by Dunhams. That's where I got mine, and it took 15 minutes. Also, if you do not know what to look for, I'd be more than happy to help you any way I can.

EDIT: I should add, it will take you 10x times longer to clean the stinking thing than it will to buy it.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Like others have already said, if you buy from an FFL, yes you will need a background check. It typically takes maybe 5 minutes but there is always the chance that you will get a delay. In my experience at work (I work for an FFL), most delay's turn into proceed's. The salespeople are limited on how much they can actually help you while filling out the 4473 so make sure to read the questions completely and think about your answers. Make sure your ID matches your actual address. If not, bring some other sort of government issued ID that does PLUS your photo ID. And like someone else said, your SSN is optional but it helps to establish which John Smith is getting checked. Just a thought. Hope that helps and welcome

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Neither good nor bad: I get frustrated with the holier than thou mindset. The guy asked a simple question, 19 yrs old, buying his first gun. Many responses come back implying he's up to no good. I do not approve. Hate me if you wish.

Top Bottom