Purchasing a Mosin Nagant, background check needed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to INGO, Iseden.

Hope you find a decent 91/30 in your price range and some decent ammo to boot. Be sure to clean it thoroughly soon after a shooting session and it will last longer than all of us.

When you buy it from a dealer, be sure to have your current address on your ID and fill out the 4473 truthfully and you wont have anything to worry about.

I have no reason to believe you are an improper person, but be aware that the penalties for attempting to purchase (if a person is improper) is serious and could land a person in big trouble. Nobody wants that.

Again, welcome and stick around for great info and great people, (and a few dickheads).

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Thanks! I've studied up on the mosin quite a bit so I think I know what to look for.

Go to Wal-Mart and pick up a Winchester recoil pad, size small, the slip on black one made by Limbsaver. A Mosin is not friendly on recoil, you don't want to develop a flinch, the pad makes it fun to shoot instead of painful.

Iseden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Muncie
    Hello fellow INGO member from Muncie! If you are TRUELY interested in getting a Mosin, I recommend you just stop by Dunhams. That's where I got mine, and it took 15 minutes. Also, if you do not know what to look for, I'd be more than happy to help you any way I can.

EDIT: I should add, it will take you 10x times longer to clean the stinking thing than it will to buy it.

Cant send PM's yet!

I am down in Indy with some friends until Sunday and was thinking about purchasing one at KS&E Sports. Was hoping to but a Hex receiver tomorrow. I realize the Cosmo has to be cleaned off and was hoping to purchase it pre cleaned by the lgs.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Cant send PM's yet!

I am down in Indy with some friends until Sunday and was thinking about purchasing one at KS&E Sports. Was hoping to but a Hex receiver tomorrow. I realize the Cosmo has to be cleaned off and was hoping to purchase it pre cleaned by the lgs.

It really isn't that hard to clean the cosmoline from Mosin's, I have 5 or 6 in my safes. I use kerosene - if you don't have kerosene, buy a quart of cheap "lamp oil" at Wallyworld. I have used gasoline during the summer when I could clean it in the driveway. Be sure to oil it well after cleaning.

As to the recoil pad, I have purchased 3 or 4 for the guns I do shoot at gun shows for $15 ~ $20 each, these are specifically made for Mosin's and replace the existing steel butt plate, using the 2 existing mounting screws. These add a little more than an inch to the length - Mosin's are really fitted for short arm people!

Another tip - (I shoot a LOT of surplus Military ammo), if you attend gun shows you often can find cans of GI WW2 gun cleaner. The older gun cleaner will remove the corrosive primer residue, eliminating the need for a water cleaning. For that matter you can buy "modern" water based gun cleaners like Mirachem - think there are a few others, I don't use them as I have a large supply of the old GI cleaner.

Some people are "scared" to use the corrosive ammo a they think it will just eat out the barrel in a day or so, actually the "corrosive" material is in the primers and leaves only a "salt" in the bore after firing - this can be potassium chloride or Sodium chloride (common table salt) - both are hygroscopic (draw water), so will promote rust in the bore if not removed - both are obviously soluble in water so rinsing out the barrel and bolt will remove it easily. I then use any gun oil or CLP (Cleaner / lube / preservative).

I am kind of glad many are afraid to use this ammo as it keeps the price down! Gotta remember many rifles were not cleaned after ever use during the wars --- and the guns survived in pretty good condition!

Good luck in finding your first Mosin (doubt this will be your last) - They are a low priced, fairly accurate firearm and probably one of the most durable, trouble free firearms ever made.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I dont get it? is 900 posts a year good or bad?

and is this figured on an average? Because Ive probably had 300 posts in the last 2 months, and I want to know if I need to lay off abit on the INGO for the rest of the year so that I dont go all tacticool.

:stickpoke:

From a board rep position good, from a "holy crap how much time did I waste on some website" its bad.

Nicr1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I'm looking for a mosin too, what would an acceptable price range be for a mosin in your guy's opinions? From what I've heard online it seems like the $100 range is what I should be looking for, but I could be wrong. I'm a college student so unfortunately money is pretty tight haha so the cheaper the better. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm looking for a mosin too, what would an acceptable price range be for a mosin in your guy's opinions? From what I've heard online it seems like the $100 range is what I should be looking for, but I could be wrong. I'm a college student so unfortunately money is pretty tight haha so the cheaper the better. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

You can still find them occasionally for about 100 bucks (for the 91/30s), but it's gotten harder to do lately. Most seem to be in the $130 - $150 range, which still isn't horrible I don't think.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Also going to depend on what variant you're looking for. A plain Jane refurbed 91/30 (28" barrel) is around $150, the $100 prices are very rare these days. Most carbines (20" barrel) with the exception of the Chinese made ones, $200 on the low end, Chinese models unless its in really good shape are $150 and under. Then there are the Finns, $400 and up; snipers, $700 is really a good price for a refurb PU.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    STOP MAKING FUN OF ME!!!!!

Now Im gonna cry in the corner TWICE in the same night. damnit...

Im guilty of still not buying a mosin because Im afraid Im gonna spend the same money on one that doesn't shoot as well as another for the same price.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    If I remember correctly, if you find one (or any gun) that is older than a date, you don't need to file? Maybe that had to do with shipping. Somebody will chime in and correct me.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If I remember correctly, if you find one (or any gun) that is older than a date, you don't need to file? Maybe that had to do with shipping. Somebody will chime in and correct me.

Earlier than that and it's an antique not a firearm.

There are Finnish MN where they refurbish a rifle using an old receiver so those count. Empire Arms and Peachtree are good sources for such rifles.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    STOP MAKING FUN OF ME!!!!!

Now Im gonna cry in the corner TWICE in the same night. damnit...

Im guilty of still not buying a mosin because Im afraid Im gonna spend the same money on one that doesn't shoot as well as another for the same price.
    I was in the same boat. Just take the plunge. Worst case is you have a rifle that doesn't have a tight group; you can still sell it later.

What you should really be afraid of is how they breed inside you gun safe. Asexually - you don't even need a pair for offspring.

Nicr1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks! Yeah, $130-$150 isn't too bad, but as a college student the cheaper the better haha thanks for the input!

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If they are beyond a certain age, AND you have a Curio and Relic license, you can have them mailed to your house.

And if you buy from a C&R holder all you need to produce a valid Indiana Driver License. He will need license info for his bound book... no back round check required. You can find Mosins at gun shows every now and then and ammo also. You can usually avoid fees and other costs at gun shows that chain stores are required to charge. Indications lately at shows seem a bit pricey, but at least you have a better chance of running into a deal there, than at a chain or LGS. IMO

Top Bottom