• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    I'm trying to figure out the logic behind restrictions concerning the purchase of handguns out of state at an FFL. I'm from NC and while I'm transitioning over to becoming an IN resident, I obviously cannot buy handguns from FFLs (or, technically, private individuals). I have a concealed carry permit that Indiana recognizes, the same paperwork and phone calls are made whether I'm buying a gun in NC or in IN, so what difference does it make? Is there any logic to this law? Is there any hope on the horizon to abolishing it?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There is no logic. It is dumber than owl sh*t. It is, however, part of federal law and is bad, hence illegal, because Big Brother says so. No real way around it unless the Supreme Court up and rediscovers the Constitution and strikes down or unhappy collection of power grabs the statists call laws.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yep. The idea was to prevent interstate trafficking in firearms, but of course, like most/all such laws, it failed and can do nothing but fail.

The good thing is that once you have a residence here and no residence elsewhere, you can purchase at an IN FFL or from an IN private citizen without any problem. Most will probably want to see your driver's license. Of note, though, once you live here, any out-of-state carry permit becomes invalid for use here, so start the process as soon as you know where you'll be living and have access to the mail there. If you use the online application, you should have your LTCH in a week or so. Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You need to understand that the legislation originally began as a protectionist effort introduced by Senator JFK at the request of Smith and Wesson who was taking it in the teeth from people like Sam Cummings.

Interstate restrictions were for cities such as Chicago and New York City which passed gun laws to prevent non-whites from obtaining arms. If these people could simply drive to IN or CT then their ordinances were feckless.

Look into the chaos of the GCA/SSA of 1968.

For your edification:

FIREARMS AND FEDERAL LAW: THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968

Amazon.com: To Keep and Bear Arms (9780870000645): Bill R. Davidson: Books

Origins of the Gun Control Act of 1968(Warning:LONG)

Were NRA & Manufacturers Complicit in the Gun Control Act of 1968? | Shall Not Be Questioned

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    You need to understand that the legislation originally began as a protectionist effort introduced by Senator JFK at the request of Smith and Wesson who was taking it in the teeth from people like Sam Cummings.

God, I miss him. The days I spent cuddling the Interarms catalog were all well spent.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011

Interstate restrictions were for cities such as Chicago and New York City which passed gun laws to prevent non-whites from obtaining arms. If these people could simply drive to IN or CT then their ordinances were feckless.

Look into the chaos of the GCA/SSA of 1968.

For your edification:

FIREARMS AND FEDERAL LAW: THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968

Amazon.com: To Keep and Bear Arms (9780870000645): Bill R. Davidson: Books

Origins of the Gun Control Act of 1968(Warning:LONG)

Were NRA & Manufacturers Complicit in the Gun Control Act of 1968? | Shall Not Be Questioned

Ah... "common sense regulation".

Top Bottom