• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Was pulled over for my license plate lights being burnt out. Was told to grab my license and registration. I politely said(since I believe in informing them so they don't have to find it.) "Sir, Just so you are aware, my handgun is right next to my wallet. Would you like me to step out to grab my wallet?"

Purdue Police Officer "No, just don't pull your gun on me, or ill F*****g shoot you!"

Trying to keep the mood light, I responded "That sounds like it would be a fair trade to me" and gave him my ingo. excuse me, my info. I then started my voice recorder.

He came back, in much more of a polite mood and said(I recorded this part, shame on me for missing that first gem) , "Robert, why don't you go ahead and put your hands out the window for a second, thank you, so I appreciate you lettin me know about.. usually its easier if you stay in so we're not face to face... get your light fixed...just a warning...I appreciate you telling me... have a good night."

I wish I would have told him that I didn't appreciate him stating the obvious in such a threatening manner, maybe I just felt that It was his own sarcastic take on the situation, and really didn't feel disrespected. but i'm to non confrontational for that.

He did NOT ask me to take out my weapon, and for that, I'm willing to balance this whole thing out into a +1 for purdue police.

I guess in his defense, I had a bright green backwards hat on for saint pattys day, and I was leaving the bars at 3:00 AM(Completely 0.00 sober mind you)

Anyways. thats my story. The recording is almost exactly how I typed it.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I wonder what would have happened if you had said the same thing back to him?

Sarcastic or not, that was severely rude bordering on aggressive behavior.
    Whatever happened to 'An armed society is a polite society'?

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    No reason to be cussed at. -1 for officer not being a professional

-1 for officer working for Purdue.

I'd have to agree. Just my thinking but if I am planning on pulling my gun and shooting a police officer, I'm probably not going to sit there and inform you (nicely and in a professional manner mind you) that I have a gun and how would you like me to proceed.

So if I'm a LEO and I have a guy who informs me so, I'm probably going to take some precautions but I'm not going to be a jerk.

:twocents:

I am glad to the OP that things got better and you got on your way with a nod and smile.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Its a shame that we live in a society where every one uses a four letter word when talking about anything. When I was a kid growing up you used a four letter word you got your mouth washed out with soap. Today you try to wash out a kids mouth out with soap you go to jail for child abuse. There is no need to talk that way it is just the way it is in todays society.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I wonder what would have happened if you had said the same thing back to him?

Sarcastic or not, that was severely rude bordering on aggressive behavior.
    Whatever happened to 'An armed society is a polite society'?

We no longer live in an Armed Society... That is the problem...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    file a complaint on the guy. hes no better than you are. dont let them talk down at you. also why tell them you have a gun? its none of their business. and onece again a cop threatens a civilians life over a hypothetical situation thats never gonna happen. too bad you didnt get it on tape or you would own his ***

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Hey, we're all human and we all make mistakes. He messed up but he made it right with his polite demeanor afterward and a warning. He didn't treat you like a criminal. I say let it slide this time.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Purdue Police Officer "No, just don't pull your gun on me, or ill F*****g shoot you!"

You actually think he thought he could?
    You have the element of surprise here.

Not alluring to you actually do this, or anyone for that matter. But his tone could have been him being off guard, and that was his way of getting him self back in control.

Either way he (IMO) made a threat to you.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    He's probably burned out from dealing with dude-bros and acted like one himself.
    He probably wouldn't have said that to an older guy and definitely not to a woman. If so, then eff that a-hole.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Why did you feel compelled to tell the officer you were legally
    armed? Not being rude...but this got the ball rolling an not in
    your favour. This is why so many do not tell the officers they
    are armed unless asked. Indiana does not require you to inform
    the officer when being stopped.....I know you weren't being rude,
    but you gave up some of your Liberty an didn't have too. Officers
    are under alot of pressure...I'm with the group that says lets not
    add anymore...when you tell them you have a gun, even legally,
    they go into even more alert...combine that with a rookie....an you
    can have a big problem...one guy in another state did what you did
    an the officer put his gun to his temple, took him out, handcuffed him
    an drilled him for 45 min.....action was takin later...but that was later.
    Face it, some police are very anti-gun....I'm not doing anything wrong
    by not telling the officer I'm armed. If he wants to know, he can ask, if
    he doesn't ask, then he must not care that I'm legally caring...an why
    should he. He's their for things that are wrong or illegal right? This is just
    info. If those choose to inform police I'm armed, fine .....I'm not, unless
    they want to know.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Hey, we're all human and we all make mistakes. He messed up but he made it right with his polite demeanor afterward and a warning. He didn't treat you like a criminal. I say let it slide this time.
    If I treated my customers even remotely like that, I would be on the street looking for another job.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    Why did you feel compelled to tell the officer you were legally
    armed? Not being rude...but this got the ball rolling an not in
    your favour. This is why so many do not tell the officers they
    are armed unless asked. Indiana does not require you to inform
    the officer when being stopped.....I know you weren't being rude,
    but you gave up some of your Liberty an didn't have too. Officers
    are under alot of pressure...I'm with the group that says lets not
    add anymore...when you tell them you have a gun, even legally,
    they go into even more alert...combine that with a rookie....an you
    can have a big problem...one guy in another state did what you did
    an the officer put his gun to his temple, took him out, handcuffed him
    an drilled him for 45 min.....action was takin later...but that was later.
    Face it, some police are very anti-gun....I'm not doing anything wrong
    by not telling the officer I'm armed. If he wants to know, he can ask, if
    he doesn't ask, then he must not care that I'm legally caring...an why
    should he. He's their for things that are wrong or illegal right? This is just
    info. If those choose to inform police I'm armed, fine .....I'm not, unless
    they want to know.

uh oh.........:popcorn:

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i had many, many run ins with PUPD during my tenure in west lafayette. more than once i was chased down a back alley by some fat guy yelling..."PUPD,PUPD......stop!) we used to yell at them when they drove by our house and sometimes they would stop and we would often inquire why they worked for PUPD. usually the conversation ended with us laughing at them and telling them they work for PUPD because they are too fat and out of shape to join a real police force. those were the days, i eventually went on to pursue a job in law enforcement and subsiquently became fat.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    He's probably burned out from dealing with dude-bros and acted like one himself.
    He probably wouldn't have said that to an older guy and definitely not to a woman. If so, then eff that a-hole.

I'm an "older dude", last time I got pulled over (the only time in the last 10 or 15 years), the conversation started like this:

Officer : "What the f*** was that s***?".
    Me: "Excuse me?"
    Officer : "You know w.t.f. I'm talking about, give me your G.D. driver's license".

No ticket, no warning and the scum bag was in civilian clothes so no I had no name with which to file a report.

I had a lady in the car.

My horrible crime? I moved to the right lane to turn and realized too late I needed to turn left instead and switched back to the other lane.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    If I treated my customers even remotely like that, I would be on the street looking for another job.

Valid point and I don't necessarily disagree. I have had my gun rights totally violated by a cop before though with no remorse shown. So knowing how it could have gone and seeing where this one ended up, I'd have cut the guy a break. Especially since he's not a real cop. :D I tease. I feel our police should act professionally at all times and be held to a higher standard due to their authority. However, I also feel like they shouldn't be slam dunked for for every time they misfire on an unprofessional comment, especially when they make an honest effort to make nice afterward.

Top Bottom