• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Here's one in which the defendant won his appeal for a felon in possession charge due to self-defense. He was also found not guilty of attempted manslaughter:

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/06260603lmb.pdf

Here is one in which a robbery was committed against a person in possession of drugs & dealing paraphernalia (with which he was charged but not charged with murder). The robbers were convicted of murder when the victim/dealer killed one of the other robbers with his (the victims/dealers) gun. It looks exactly like the possible case of the student defending himself against a robbery:

Exum vs State

I'm sure there are more but these are the two I could find fairly easily.

ETA:

Now that I've looked it up I find that killing someone while trying to deal drugs is murder & I don't think self-defense can be asserted for those charges since it is specifically written into the IC.

That doesn't square with the above case where the guy wasn't charged with murder when he defended himself from a robbery AND was charged with dealing. :dunno:

I guess the bottom line is that not ALL felonies bar you from using self-defense, only the ones specifically listed in the IC for murder. Most are just common sense. Namely,

and drug dealing.

Well, I guess I just don't know now, either.

I have a friend who is a deputy prosecutor. I will try to run it by him.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    So, just what would the charge be for having a gun in the room?

Disturbing the peace?
    Its probably some sort of violation of a hate crime as well. What other thought crimes can we charge people with now days? anit-bullying?

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I can't remember exactly, pretty sure it was fall '94 or spring '95. The shooter took out the RA, then went back to his room and finished himself off. No one knew he was dead so the Police took hours before they went in, using tear gas.

I believe there's a monument to the RA in the middle of Cary Quad or somewhere.

Small world I guess. I was about 4 rooms down from his. I grew up with the shooter. To this day I would still like to know what he was thinking.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Small world I guess. I was about 4 rooms down from his. I grew up with the shooter. To this day I would still like to know what he was thinking.

Hmmmm really small world. I was about 4 or 5 rooms down from the RA on that floor, and I was actually there when it happened.

That was fall semester of 96. Wiley Hall NW3, ie northwest, 3rd floor. So we were on the same floor that year so I should know you right? maybe?

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Hmmmm really small world. I was about 4 or 5 rooms down from the RA on that floor, and I was actually there when it happened.

That was fall semester of 96. Wiley Hall NW3, ie northwest, 3rd floor. So we were on the same floor that year so I should know you right? maybe?

I didn't stay in the dorm. I lived over on S Salisbury. Was there visiting some of my buddies that day. We were all in the same engineering class. Also same group of friends that sort of ran around together. We were about to head out to labambas when it all went down.

Top Bottom