• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Many states -- and I believe Indiana is one of them -- have recreational use statutes to encourage landowners to allow people to use their land for recreational purposes like hiking, riding, hunting etc. The statute limits the liability of the private landowner as long as the landowner is not charging for or otherwise authorizing use of the land (e.g. does not apply to commercial/business establishments). The landowner is usually not protected against injuries caused by the landowner's illegal or malicious acts (so no booby traps or tiger pits), or attractive nuisances, but he is relieved of liability from the (legal) trespasser's own acts. Thus the trespassing laws are written with this in mind, i.e. if you don't want people to use your land for recreational purposes, you have to post it. Purple paint is used in several states as an easy, inexpensive, relatively maintenance way to post the property.

Paint on a tree is a lot more difficult to steal as well. Our No Hunting/No Trespassing signs are always missing and need replaced frequently. I got so tired of buying them, that I started printing and laminating my own. Much harder to remove the paint mark than a sign. We've had signs removed from trees and pulled out of the ground and thrown into the ditch along with the posts they were posted on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe it's just in my neck of the woods that public property lines are already pretty clearly marked by the DNR with orange paint?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If it is not yours, it is not public lands, and you don't have permission. Stay off and stay out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe it's just in my neck of the woods that public property lines are already pretty clearly marked by the DNR with orange paint?

Are you sure those aren't marked to be cut? That's the only time I've seen orange markings on public forestry.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Me too ! I only have a small (7 acres) wooded getaway property, but it's a stones-throw from Owen Putnam State Forest .... so I have to be vigilant.
    I found it hard to find purple paint in Lowes. Close as I could come was a can marked as "gum drop" !
    "Gum drop" might mean "Check out my land." You might want to stick with the official colors :laugh:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are you sure those aren't marked to be cut? That's the only time I've seen orange markings on public forestry.

For the 30 years that I've been hunting in Brown and Monroe counties, Yellowood State Forest and Morgan Monroe State Forrest have their borders marked with orange. :dunno:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here is a thought.....if those who would "Roam" might leave the property as they found it, not trash it up, steal from it and just in general act as asses we would not have a lot to discuss.

This. I can always tell when I've had two legged visitors from the trash. The 4 wheeled visitors are obvious just from the tracks.

Out here in the deep woods, the HNF marks their boundaries with a yellow strip stake, but where it's a long walk back they just leave it alone. I don't see trespassers from that end of my land simply because it's a long walk over rough terrain. They show up where roads are closer.

Top Bottom