Purple paint on trees in Morgan Monroe State Forest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I believe they are ash trees , they usually put purple traps on them and monitor to tell if the ash beetle is moving that way . Or that's what the logging guys tell me

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I have 3.5 miles of property boundary. Every year it takes me about 20-30 hours before hunting season to walk the boundary, paint (blue paint, orange flagging) trees and posts, and staple up new signs. The Tyvex signs last about 2 years before they need replacing. The flagging lasts about 3-4 years, and the blue paint is 5-7 years. I spend the time, and about a hundred bucks in signs, paint, and flagging; and I still get the occasional yahoo who gives me the "I thought I was on state forest/HNF BS. You pass by a near continuous line of marking, and it really does take all three to make it obvious under all conditions. The blue is very visible in the daytime, the orange at dawn/dusk, and they both draw attention to the signs. On a rare occasion I've missed a year and half of the signs are down. It's also harder for yahoos who hunt neighboring properties to remove paint from a tree whereas signs are just target practice.

Years ago, South Dakota stopped making the land owners post their property, and rightly so. All land is considered to be posted unless there are signs saying otherwise. The land owners should not have to pay for all the signs and the labor to put them up. Where State land is bordering private property, it's the State's responsibility to post the State's property and the boundaries. After all, shouldn't your property taxes be adequate compensation for protecting your land from trespassers without having to donate more signage and time for what is yours?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When they cut down/trimmed the trees along the right of way here last year they marked them before hand. One color meant trim, the other meant remove the tree. I am not sure if that is the same situation there though.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Illinois has a purple paint law.

Governor Quinn signed Senate Bill 1914, which became Public Act 97-0477, on August 22, 2011. The law became immediately effective.Public Act 97-0477 gives landowners or lessees the option of marking their property with a series of purple marks on trees or posts. Until January 1, 2013, landowners or lessees using purple marks must continue to issue a "no trespassing" notice either by oral or written notice to particular individuals or by posting appropriate signage at the main entrance to the property in question.The purple marks must be either:
    • A vertical line of at least 8 inches in length. The bottom of the mark shall be between 3 and 5 feet high. Each mark shall be no more than 100 feet from another such mark and be readily visible to any person approaching the property.
    or
    • A post capped or otherwise marked on at least its top 2 inches. The bottom of the cap or mark shall be between 3 feet and 5 feet 6 inches high. Posts so marked shall be no more than 36 feet apart and be readily visible to any person approaching the property. Prior to applying a cap or mark that is visible from both sides of a fence shared by different property owners or lessees, all such owners or lessees must agree to the decision to post their own property.
    Trespassing on property so marked constitutes a Class B misdemeanor, except when a person trespasses using a motor vehicle if the marked area is an orchard; an enclosed area containing livestock; a barn or other agricultural building containing livestock; or an field that is used or capable of being used for growing crops. Such trespassing constitutes a Class A misdemeanor.No landowner or lessee is authorized to post purple marks if doing so would violate any applicable law, rule, ordinance, order, covenant, bylaw, declaration, regulation, restriction, contract, or other instrument.Public Act 97-0477 does not apply to real property located in a municipality of over 2,000,000 inhabitants.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Hello all, I emailed the Morgan Monroe forest office asking about the purple paint and received the following reply regarding the purple paint. I am going to assume that the paint is not referring to "no trespassing" or anything significant to what I am doing.

Hello ,

I hope you had a successful mushroom hunt as I’ve been hearing from most people that it is a down year. State forest boundaries are marked with 3 rectangles of orange paint on trees on or directly adjacent to the boundary lines. One rectangle faces in to the state forest property and the other two face the direction of the line. I am aware that many states have the purple paint law. There was a recent attempt in Indiana to do so, but I do not believe it passed. We use purple paint for timber sales, but I do not see that we have any upcoming sales for that area. It is difficult to say with certainty however without knowing your exact location. Another possibility is that those are trees marked for some reason within the Hardwood Ecosystem Experiment. You can find information about that at https://ag.purdue.edu/hee/Pages/default.aspx Blue is generally the most common color we use for marking timber for timber sales. We also use light purple, red, and sometimes yellow. I hope this answers your questions. If you would like more information or have other questions, please feel free to email me directly at any time.
    Thank You,
    Mike Spalding, Resource Supervisor, Yellowwood and Morgan-Monroe State Forests

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hello all, I emailed the Morgan Monroe forest office asking about the purple paint and received the following reply regarding the purple paint. I am going to assume that the paint is not referring to "no trespassing" or anything significant to what I am doing.

Hello ,

I hope you had a successful mushroom hunt as I’ve been hearing from most people that it is a down year. State forest boundaries are marked with 3 rectangles of orange paint on trees on or directly adjacent to the boundary lines. One rectangle faces in to the state forest property and the other two face the direction of the line. I am aware that many states have the purple paint law. There was a recent attempt in Indiana to do so, but I do not believe it passed. We use purple paint for timber sales, but I do not see that we have any upcoming sales for that area. It is difficult to say with certainty however without knowing your exact location. Another possibility is that those are trees marked for some reason within the Hardwood Ecosystem Experiment. You can find information about that at https://ag.purdue.edu/hee/Pages/default.aspx Blue is generally the most common color we use for marking timber for timber sales. We also use light purple, red, and sometimes yellow. I hope this answers your questions. If you would like more information or have other questions, please feel free to email me directly at any time.
    Thank You,
    Mike Spalding, Resource Supervisor, Yellowwood and Morgan-Monroe State Forests

Well that was a damn cordial response from Mike Spalding!! Thanks for sharing it!

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Anyone have the IC reference?

I could be wrong I know it was introduced along with adjustments to hunters orange. I thought it had passed but lost my bookmarked page.

Edit: went to the dnr page with the rule changes. Didn't see it so it most of got dropped.

Last edited:

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Well that was a damn cordial response from Mike Spalding!! Thanks for sharing it!

Mike is a good guy. Him and his wife are both forresters, young folks, in there 20s I think. I work with him often as we work a lot of jobs in Morgan Monroe and Yellow wood. In yellow wood right now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The plot of Morgan Monroe across the way from me already looks like a patchwork of moved property lines over the years. There are a lot of fence wires and no trespassing signs well inside of the orange marked forest boundaries. :dunno:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Years ago, South Dakota stopped making the land owners post their property, and rightly so. All land is considered to be posted unless there are signs saying otherwise. The land owners should not have to pay for all the signs and the labor to put them up. Where State land is bordering private property, it's the State's responsibility to post the State's property and the boundaries. After all, shouldn't your property taxes be adequate compensation for protecting your land from trespassers without having to donate more signage and time for what is yours?

You don't own it. You pay rent every year to be allowed to use it. And you have the right to pass that obligation on to your heirs.:xmad:

Top Bottom