• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Purple text is internet sarcasm. It was implemented to prevent those with no concept of context to be able to understand people with superior wit.

It is not needed. MOST people with rudimentary conversational skills will pick up the tone of your words without a Skittles palette.

Case in point above. There has been an underground effort to undermine the long time tradition of using purple to denote sarcasm. These insurgents have had some minor success but the tradition is still widely used.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    legends-gtfo-take-fail.jpg

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    exactly my point

Sounds like gungurl65 should have used purple!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

See I was sarcastic but didn't use purple and people were bothered by it. This was the point I was trying to make. :D

Although we should all use good taste & good judgement when we comment, sometimes we don't. If you are poking fun at something you should try to use purple so as not to upset someone who might take you seriously and be offended by your comment.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    A color for DB's?

Exactly.
    It's kind of the difference between saying something sarcastically, and outright being a douche to somebody.
    "Purple" shouldn't be cart blanche for being a jerk.

Too bad the DB's don't have their own special color. I haven't been here for very long but I have been here long enough to have seen that the DB's & even bullies do sometimes hide behind the color purple to be mean spirited.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    :( I've tried to maintain the spirit myself. Maybe I'm too much of a n00b, only having had the same email address since 1996, but all this d-nozzlery just gets tiresome.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    should have used purple

Hmm, not sure yet. But one thing for sure, my wife doesn't like sharing her hard candy.

Don't read between the lines too much

Oops there's another one I should have used purple for. No line reading involved. With all the INGO people online we could have all had an online party.

Sorry if you took that personally or wrong.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Too bad the DB's don't have their own special color. I haven't been here for very long but I have been here long enough to have seen that the DB's & even bullies do sometimes hide behind the color purple to be mean spirited.

I just use regular font and black as my preferred d-bag text. I don't do the personal attacks but I'm sure I've said more than a handful of things that aren't popular with some people...and I'm fine with that. I live my life like Stuart Smalley.

I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me (and I don't care if they don't)! :)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Oops there's another one I should have used purple for. No line reading involved. With all the INGO people online we could have all had an online party.

Sorry if you took that personally or wrong.

No harm, no foul...made me laugh though.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    According to Wikipedia, sarcasm by definition is negative (actually used words such as bitter, sharp, taunt, etc.).

Sarcasm is playful in the company of friends and non threatening. When used towards those who are unfamiliar with the personalities of the poster, it is easily interpreted as an attack. I am reminded of the quote "humor is but a funny way of being serious". With what one's inner circle may say, a stranger may not. The key is to spend enough time on the forum and get to know the different personalities, which is quite a task considering the number of members. For me, when I see purple, I read playful as opposed to sarcastic.

Top Bottom