• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone have any experience with this shotgun technique? I was at Wilbur Wright range today and decided to try it and WOW! It really works. The felt recoil and muzzle rise was noticeably a lot less. Shooting slugs were easier and the felt recoil of 00 buckshot was minimum while in 7 shot bird there was none.

Here is an example of what I'm referring to:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4"]Push Pull Technique[/ame]

Last edited:

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's been in use with many instructors for a couple years now. I first heard it from Rob at a 10-8 class, but I have no idea who the originator was.

Many people who actually give it a good go are successful with it, and like it much better than some of the other techniques out there.

I'm thinking we even discussed this on here a few years back, but my search-fu is lazy today..... I know Steve and the MDFI guys were teaching it 2 years ago when I trained with them.

Last edited:

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    Cool... I didn't realized that Open Range had a YouTube channel. I'll have to look around. They have an awesome indoor facility if anyone ever visits the Louisville area.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've not done much with it... And certainly no training.

But it IS effective.

I don't think it'd work in a hunting situation, however. I don't know that you could get a 100yd aim & hold for a shot before your arms wore out.

But, it's not a hunting technique...go figure!

-J-

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure it is intended for self defense so you can acquisition your target quicker, but why wouldn't it be useful for hunting as well? I would think you could use it for that application as well. Now maybe not for skeet shooting or something like that.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm pretty sure it is intended for self defense so you can acquisition your target quicker, but why wouldn't it be useful for hunting as well? I would think you could use it for that application as well. Now maybe not for skeet shooting or something like that.

It'd all depend on what you're hunting, I suppose.

Squirrel? Sure...

But a 100yd rifled slug on a deer? It just doesn't seem like it'd be a technique that'd allow you to hold on your target for too long.

I'm not at all a hunter, though, so who knows?

-J-

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    That looks like a technique that might be effective with a SBS, since the forward hand is not used so much for support. On anything longer though, where the forward hand is more critical to support of weight, I don't see it as being too effective. :twocents:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    That is how Chris and Travis taught it in the "Art of the dynamic shotgun" DVD. Haven't really gotten a good chance to try it out yet, but it looks like it is pretty effective.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That looks like a technique that might be effective with a SBS, since the forward hand is not used so much for support. On anything longer though, where the forward hand is more critical to support of weight, I don't see it as being too effective. :twocents:

I interpreted it as the front hand being the main support and acting as a recoil buffer for the shooting hand to absorb some of the shoulder impact. The way he said it in the video it was about 60/40, where the 60% was in the forearm pushing away from the body and 40% pulling towards the body by the shooting hand.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    That is how Chris and Travis taught it in the "Art of the dynamic shotgun" DVD. Haven't really gotten a good chance to try it out yet, but it looks like it is pretty effective.

I know I taught them it while we were filming it

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Really I thought everyone learned to shoot Shotguns in this Fashion....

My Grandfather taught us this way when we were little, like 30+ years ago...

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    No one has ever maid claim to inventing it

it was taught years ago like 50+ due to some types of shotguns locking up when the forearm pressure applied in specific directions locked up guns as i recall

Rob haught brought it to light in the training circles once again since others did not.

and yes i got jiped in credits, instead they hired me go figure

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    No one has ever maid claim to inventing it

it was taught years ago like 50+ due to some types of shotguns locking up when the forearm pressure applied in specific directions locked up guns as i recall

Rob haught brought it to light in the training circles once again since others did not.

and yes i got jiped in credits, instead they hired me go figure

I did not intend to have that cause on the discussion.

I truly believed this was how everyone was taught to shoot the Gauges...
    Everyone I know is taught in this method. Just struck me as odd. :dunno:

Top Bottom