Push ups: why is the second half so much harder?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Time to start working on one-arm pushups, Pavel-style.

ETA: Actually, if you do want to get better at pushups, I recommend The Naked Warrior by Pavel Tsatsouline. It's less a routine and more a book on bodyweight strength training philosophy. The end goal is to get you to do one arm pullups, one arm/one leg pushups, and single leg pistol squats.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I ususally do around 50-52 in the first minute and take it easy from there if I even try to do more, to pass the PT test I only need something like 36 or so.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You should try the 100 pushups app. It's a 6 week program to get you to 100. I liked it pretty well.

Do they have a 4 week program? We leave on October 5 :)

Sylvain, that is seriously impressive man. With arms like that, you don't need firearms!

You guys are making me feel REALLY lazy. Kinda going against the "typical internet guy" thought

dont-worry-sir-motivational-poster-2098.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do they have a 4 week program? We leave on October 5 :)

Sylvain, that is seriously impressive man. With arms like that, you don't need firearms!

You guys are making me feel REALLY lazy. Kinda going against the "typical internet guy" thought

:):

I dont have huge muscular arms, im really skinny and lightweight.
    But im quite fit I guess.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I bought the $1.99 on on iPhone but nowhere does the training program show 100 as a goal. Is it after six weeks you should be able to just rep 100?

Those programms are all unrealistic, like those "get a 6 pack abs in a few weeks" and such.
    It takes years of training and years of eating healthy.

It all depends where you start of course, but a guy that cant do a single push up will never be able to do 100 in row in six weeks.

You shouldn't focus on a number to reach nor should you focus on a certain date to end your training programm.
    Usually people fail because they set themselves with unrealistic goals, and when in two weeks they dont go from fat to fit they stop because they are discouraged.

Just go slowly and dont expect huge results in a short period of time and you will be succesful in your training programm.

If you can do just 10 push ups in a row now and in two weeks you manage to do 15 in a row that's good.
    If you can just do 13 in two weeks that's good too, same if you can do 25. That's progress.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I used to could do a 100-105 pushups in 2 minutes, and a 100-110 Situps in 2 minutes. Covering 2 miles in just over 9 minutes...

22 years later, lots of Cigarettes, Booze, and hard living with some injuries along the way, I can still knock out 70 pushups in 2 minutes, and 80 Situps in 2 minutes. Covering 2 miles in more like 17 minutes...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    One-handed pushups is where it's at. My nightly workout isn't finished until I complete 20 one handed pushups. That's 20 per hand.

Yup. One-handed pushups. That's how I roll.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I did 250/day sit ups for forty years and never got beyond having 'flabs.' That's rock hard abs obscured by a paunch......
    My lower back, on the other hand, didn't take it well. I then switched to core tension reps. Easier on the back. Never gonna look like Brad Pitt..and he's never gonna look like me. At least I got my privacy.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So after dying on 5 sets of 5, I have now done day 3 of the 100 pushups program, level 2. I did 8, 10, 7, 7, 11. This is while on night shifts and finding some time during a lull. It's amazing how dedicated effort leads to progress. I've already seen considerable changes in my physique from two weeks of running, four days of pushups and a week of abs. Makes me feel REALLY lazy and like I've been holding back a studly body from my wife. Hopefully I'll stick with it.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I was up to 85 a day for years then I ripped my shoulder during that exercise. That surgical repair and rehab is nothing I ever want to go thru again. I don't do them anymore. I have some latex bands tied to a bannister and I do punching motions with them. I'm afraid I'm going to end up with a bannister shard in my lung....

:yesway:

I just finished the year-long rehab from rotator cuff repair. I completely understand never wanting to do that again....but I've started lifting again. I haven't tried pushups (used to be able to do about 75). Just the other day I tried military press for the first time in 14 months and was about to do sets of 105 lbs. Woohoo.

It sucks getting old.:oldwise:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So after dying on 5 sets of 5, I have now done day 3 of the 100 pushups program, level 2. I did 8, 10, 7, 7, 11. This is while on night shifts and finding some time during a lull. It's amazing how dedicated effort leads to progress. I've already seen considerable changes in my physique from two weeks of running, four days of pushups and a week of abs. Makes me feel REALLY lazy and like I've been holding back a studly body from my wife. Hopefully I'll stick with it.

Good job Doc.
    Like you said it all about dedication.You dont need to go to the gym or workout for 4 hours a day to be really fit.
    You dont need fancy gym equipement or antyhing like that.
    You just need to have the decication to workout a bit each day and eat right.

I hardly workout more than 30 minutes a day, sometimes 45 minutes, sometimes 15.
    But I do it 4 or 5 days a week and I have been doing it for years.

Top Bottom