• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    No such thing as a quick sight change in a XD. Those are some of the tightest sights out there.

Soak the old sights with penatrating oil for at least an hour. I like Kroil, then lock it in a vise and a good steel punch and hammer to remove old sights.
    The sights are not as tight but they are tight.
    I always use a sight pusher on XD. If you try the above method remember I do Cerakote work :)

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    One thing I have found as I have started to dabble in gunsmithing ( nothing too crazy) is sometimes the correct tool is invaluable and can save in the long run because you have a higher chance of messing something up. That being said many people have uninstalled and reinstalled sights with a punch and hammer.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've always used and recommended XDMAN.com for XD sights. He's done thousands over the years I'm sure. And his turn around time is crazy quick!! I've probably had him do 2 or 3 for me and I've always been very pleased with his work.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Cut them in half long ways.

This, right here. For XD and XDMs you have to cut the bastards out. Or get a machinist to mill them out

Invest in a sight pusher!

No such thing when it comes to a XD/XDM. A friend of mine wrecked a $400 sight pusher on a XD before.

Springfield even cuts them out if you send them in for a sight replacement.

They heat the slide up, opening the dovetail. Then install a tight set of sights, and let the slide cool around them, making the fit even tighter.

They're a SOB

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    This, right here. For XD and XDMs you have to cut the bastards out. Or get a machinist to mill them out

No such thing when it comes to a XD/XDM. A friend of mine wrecked a $400 sight pusher on a XD before.

They heat the slide up, opening the dovetail. Then install a tight set of sights, and let the slide cool around them, making the fit even tighter.

They're a SOB

I have a pusher that does XD and XDM sights. I do them frequently when Cerakoting

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It is made by SRC Gunworks. It seems way over engineered but with proper technique I have never met a sight that it would not push out.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    Brings up a valid question as to why manufacturers think that sights need to be installed with a high pressure, hydraulic press. Drives me nuts to replace sights, even with a sight pusher, to see how much pressure is needed to be applied to remove some sights. I carry a gun for a living, carry a gun to protect myself and my family, and for sport. I have fired more rounds than can be counted. Have replaced my share of sights, and still I cannot fathom why this kind of pressure fit is needed. Just my thoughts.

Andy Cree

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The XD's are silly tight, no resonance for that. On the other hand I get guns in that the front sight come off

It's not an exact science :)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Things aren't made to be taken apart and serviced like they used to be. Its more important to manufacturers to streamline production and limit warranty issues.

I'm betting Springfield doesn't get too many warranty issues on lose sights.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have found Kahr pistols to be similar.

I don't like it. I share the views of those above. Why make a gun where something so essential to good marksmanship is so hard to do? If I need anything, I mean anything, other than a vise / punch / hammer, I believe the product designer did a deficient job.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :) I bought the Kimber branded sight pusher. It wouldn't push the sight out of my Kimber. :xmad: Still use the pusher on other guns and to reinstall sights.

Take your time with hammer, punch, masking tape, no-mar vise jaws, etc. After you ding up a slide or two you'll learn to be more careful. :rolleyes:

When your gun has a character mark or two, it's easier to treat it like a tool rather than jewelry ? ;)

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis

They're a SOB

Fishers Solutions sight pusher. I've done several Of the XD, and have never needed heat. The only set I didn't do, was done by Mike at USDS with a hammer and punch.
    I wrap the slides in an old business card to protect the finish, and clamp the tool in a vice after securing the slide.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It is made by SRC Gunworks. It seems way over engineered but with proper technique I have never met a sight that it would not push out.

Damn, and I thought the sight pusher I use was over engineered (B&J machine), that thing looks like a Rubix cube.

But, universal means universal. Has to be made to adjust to anything.

Fishers Solutions sight pusher. I've done several Of the XD, and have never needed heat.

That looks like a nice and simple one and not a bad price for a good sight pusher

Top Bottom