• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Long story short, my father buys tools at pawn shops and resells them on ebay as a way of supporting his retirement. Well, while at a pawn shop spending some quality time with the old man I notice a 'springfield' 1911 (i'll explain the quotes later) for 569. It's not in the best cosmetic shape, so I was hoping that the manager, whom we do a lot of business with) would cut me a deal.

Well after getting it out of the case to examine it, turns out it's a franken-gun. It's a thompson auto ordinance slide with adjustable night sights, springfield frame, aftermarket barrel (either chromed, or stainless. Not sure.) with strong rifling, aftermarket trigger, ugly grips, and a very nice, tight slide fitment. No rattles at all.

Well, it being a frankengun, I was not about to spend 569 on it. After talking a little with one of our usual sales guys, the manager walks up and the sales guy tells them as a joke "I told them 299, is that alright," and the manager responded with "well, it's mismatched, so that's fine," said "hi" to my father, and walked off.

I couldn't argue with that price, even if it is mismatched. My question is, what should I expect to replace? Seeing as how it has an aftermarket barrel, and some other parts, i'm not sure what all has been done already, but I'd like to get an idea what i'm getting myself into. I've always wanted a 1911, so i'm pretty excited that it was in my price range, but i'm expecting something to need to be replaced/upgraded for it to function perfectly, as is usually the case with modified, well, anything.

I work as a machinist and restore motorcycles/build turbocharged performance cars in my spare time, so the technical aspect of reworking it SHOULDN'T be an issue...hopefully.

6335525673_011def77fb_z.jpg

It looks a lot better on the inside than on the outside. Lol.

In everybody's honest opinion, think it was worth the 300? This is my first 1911, and i've never seen one cheaper than that.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    That was the plan. Being as that it's sitting in layaway at the moment (had rent coming up. Ugh), I wasn't able to take it home and shoot it. I'd just like to see if there's anything I should budget for replacement, like a spring kit, or something along those lines.

Seeing as how the cheapest frame I'd seen is 300 or so on sarco (don't remember the exact amount), I figured a whole gun for the same price couldn't be bad.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    That was the plan. Being as that it's sitting in layaway at the moment (had rent coming up. Ugh), I wasn't able to take it home and shoot it. I'd just like to see if there's anything I should budget for replacement, like a spring kit, or something along those lines.

Seeing as how the cheapest frame I'd seen is 300 or so on sarco (don't remember the exact amount), I figured a whole gun for the same price couldn't be bad.
    before you start spending money on the gun, test fire it first:twocents:

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I wasn't planning on spending money on it prior to shooting it. I just like to have a budget for a project.

I have a lot of hobbies, and not a lot of hobby funds, so I end up doing some severe budgeting and whatnot. Plus if I have something to expect, I can research it and educate myself at least somewhat while i'm waiting to be able to get it out.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    just a bit of nostalgia here, my first gun was a thompson 1911, with pachmyre wrap around grips......................... it was the same price i think :) around 300

good luck

jake

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have seen properly fitted "frankenguns" shoot really well. The accuracy is in the fit of the parts, not in numbers and letters stamped on it. It will never be worth much to resell, but if it shoots good, just enjoy it.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Nothing appeared to be wrong with it from what I could tell. I didn't dry fire it and let the hammer fall (something about that just hurts me when I see someone do it), but I played with it and the grip safety functioned fine, and all the parts seemed to be very well fit. It's just that, coming from a motorsports background, every car i've ever purchased always had issues. Wiring issues, supporting upgrades that were not done, hackjob installations, etc so, not being the most educated on these in particular, i'm just wondering if there's anything I should definitely look at more closely when I am able to get it out of layaway.

I tend to think in layers, so it just makes sense to me to educate myself about what to look for before I get it in my hands. If nothing else just to appease myself in the mean time. Lol

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Meh, I am generally not a big fan of cobbled together franken1911's but for $300 if it shoots good & functions reliably it'd be worth it.

Guess you will find out once you get it home & run some rounds through it whether or not it was worth the purchase price.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Haha, i'm pretty sure i'll be hanging onto it. I read somewhere that half of the fun of owning one is tinkering with it since the aftermarket for them is huge, and, being a tinkerer myself, a frankengun with no collector value seems right up my alley.

And thanks for the link, i'll look that over and report back to you fine gentlemen when I get it out of layaway and get a chance to shoot it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    keep the frame and ditch the slide....there dead soft..frame and other parts worth 300...get it hot and i bet it seizes up.... check around the slide stop notch and plug hood for cracks....

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    As long as whoever put it together did mess with the frame when fitting you should be good to go, and it may shoot fine as it is. I don't know where you buy your frames tho...$300? I can buy Caspian frames for half that.

Top Bottom