• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I remember similar posturing on the buildup toward the invasion of Iraq the first time. They were afraid of our superior western military technology and might would show their inferior eastern bloc weaponry to be the paper tiger that it is. This point was proven conclusively when, on March 2, 1991, an inferior (in quantity) M1 column advancing into the Iraqi desert surprised, and were surprised by, a superior (in quantity) column of retreating T-72s in the Rumeilah oil fields. The M1s crested a ridge, virtually in a line abreast to discover the T-72s. In a matter of minutes, just as fast as the M1 crews could load, target, and fire, every T-72 was rendered into a smouldering husk with only a handful of T-72s getting off defensive shots and none of them doing any damage to the M1s. Imagine what our crews could have done if that were a planned and coordinated attack.

The Russians are afraid, 20 years on, that nothing has changed, and they are right to fear that, for it is true.

The one thing that the US troops have, over the Russian Army, is 10 years of combat experience. We've already been introduced to the Iranian copper disk IED, and have found a way to defeat it, as well as other types of IED's. We have combat tested and proven equipment, where as Russia's combat troops aren't as sharp as they once were. We already have troops, equipment, and support resources in the area to assist in a combined arms combat scenario.

I also honestly think this is a huge hoax. Russia isn't stupid enough to ignite a regional conflict to simply sell gas or oil

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Personally, I think there are multitudes of nut-cases making strategic and tactical decisions concerning Syria, and I won't any longer take bets on WHAT is going to happen. Syria is reputed to have one of the better air defense systems (in terms of capabilities) in the world and modern fighters. An "air war" over Syria is likely to be bloody and costly; not the walk in the park that Libya was, and the Russians are certain to supply their best materiel and trainers to the Syrians in their efforts. While I don't put much credence in the "Western nation false flag operation," I think it's very feasible that the rebels would have used chemical weapons on their own people in order to bring outsiders down on the Assad regime. I also find it strange that a Saudi prince would be so blunt as to threaten Russia with Chechen interference at the Winter Olympics - or that the Saudis would accept responsibility for the Chechens at all. Frankly, the whole story sounds like BS.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I am not very well versed in foreign affairs. Some questions:

Wasn't Bush criticized heavily for sending troops based on reports of WMD's ? How does Obama's potential action differ ?
    Is this potential regime building ? If not, what is the purpose ?
    Isn't this an actionable issue for the United Nations - that toothless, powerless world organization ?
    Why aren't we hearing any sabre rattling from other world nations ? i.e. Canada, Australia, European nations, etc.
    Why should we place our ground troops in harms way re: this issue ?
    Is this an oil rich supplier of U.S. oil imports ?
    Why don't we just sit back and let one group of Muslims eradicate another group of Muslims ?
    Should we drop small arms and ammunition to both sides ? (see above)
    Does Obama need or intend to obtain Congressional authorization to commit ground troops or U.S. military action of any type ?
    Since the U.S. hasn't actually declared war since 12/7/41 will this be another "police action" ?
    Will John McCain promote military action and John Kerry throw his Viet Nam era medals over the White House fence again ?
    Will Obama win (or be given) another Nobel Peace Prize as a result of his actions ?

I could go on . . . . but this is probably enough.

Quite frankly I am sick and tired of the expenditure of United States resources ( both human and monetary capital ) in overseas efforts that have mostly resulted in inflated budgets, private corporation profit taking, and loss of life of armed forces members due to a lack of resolve to enter a conflict with the thought of actually "winning" - whatever that may mean.

We've failed to adequately protect our oil interest ( as demonstrated by the continuing escalation of imported oil prices ) and the stanglehold the middle east countries have on our economy. Between the Chinese ownership of our national treasury and the middle eastern control of our oil supply we are pretty much screwed on a global basis unless our elected leadership grows a collective "pair" and commits to actionable agendas to create solutions . . . not exacerbate the problem(s) with their lack of resolve.

Rant over - out.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Biden is on record during the Bush ear saying that a president who sends troops in a situation when the US is not being attacked should be impeached. And Obama is on record saying something similar. Conservative media have the sound bytes. Will the MSM show them? Nah. This is a dangerous time with a dangerous, incompetent, petulent administration in charge, and however it plays out it will not be pretty, and the US will decline even more on the world stage.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    The one thing that the US troops have, over the Russian Army, is 10 years of combat experience. We've already been introduced to the Iranian copper disk IED, and have found a way to defeat it, as well as other types of IED's. We have combat tested and proven equipment, where as Russia's combat troops aren't as sharp as they once were. We already have troops, equipment, and support resources in the area to assist in a combined arms combat scenario.

I also honestly think this is a huge hoax. Russia isn't stupid enough to ignite a regional conflict to simply sell gas or oil
    I think what I worry about is that NO ONE is making logical decisions in any of these countries including our own. It all seems to be angry posturing and rhetoric, which is foolish enough during normal grievances with other countries. This has the feel of an ugly interaction in a bar and all it needs if for someone to throw the first punch or, worse, fire the first shot and the all h#@l is going to break loose. No winners and lots of bodies--both those who were involved and those who were minding their own business.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The EU Times is the equivalent of the tabloids in the checkout line that tell you about the newly born half-bat half-man that's marrying Jennifer Anniston once she divorces Elvis.

There will be showboating. China and Russia are permanent members of the Security Council. If they really want to press the issue, all they have to do is exercise the veto authority that all permanent members wield. Note that there doesn't have to be a unanimous decision, so abstaining or simply walking out of a vote, is not counted as a veto.

This mess could easily go sideways, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think we are quite to Archduke Ferdinand alert status just yet.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm confident that the administration has backed down (for now). They've tested the stomaches of everyone and took notice.

If there is a time table to follow, in a conspiral sense, there will be another incident. Maybe a few weeks from now.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The EU Times is the equivalent of the tabloids in the checkout line that tell you about the newly born half-bat half-man that's marrying Jennifer Anniston once she divorces Elvis.

There will be showboating. China and Russia are permanent members of the Security Council. If they really want to press the issue, all they have to do is exercise the veto authority that all permanent members wield. Note that there doesn't have to be a unanimous decision, so abstaining or simply walking out of a vote, is not counted as a veto.

This mess could easily go sideways, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think we are quite to Archduke Ferdinand alert status just yet.

This thing is not a real newspaper. :+1:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What is a real reliable news paper these days? Is Le Monde still around anylonger? Were they/are they as biased as they were in the 90's?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up

I'm with you, this isn't for oil. It's for a currency exchange. Get the world off the petrodollar and implement the IMF SDR. The world powers will shift. Russia and China would love to be top dogs.

Top Bottom