• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have a Jack Russell/Manchester Terrier mix that just turned 15 years old last month. Over the last 2 years, she's progressively gotten worse. A couple years ago, she had what we believe to be a stroke on at least 2 different occasions. She would walk along and fall over or couldn't stand much at all. She seemed to eventually snap out of it. Around that time, she would yelp any time you picked her up as if she were in a great deal of pain.

Now, she doesn't seem to be in any pain but has very little hind end strength and almost no control of her bladder or bowels. We have to keep a doggy diaper on her at all times or let her out every 10-15 minutes or she'll just go where she stands. Her hearing is limited as about the only sound she responds to is clapping your hands. We can tell her vision is impaired but not so much that she can't see where she's going.

We're wondering if and when we should put her to sleep. I hate to because it doesn't seem like she's in pain but she doesn't have much of an existence either. My wife and I got her as a pup right after we got married. Neither one of us want to put her down but we don't want to see her suffer either. Thoughts?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Quality of life, man. Poor pup has outlived it. Be sure to find a vet who'll let you hold pup and just give her a shot in the arse. That way you can be her boatman across the river styx. Hold her and talk softly and lovingly to her as she goes to sleep. It sux to do, and you're a tougher man than I if you don't shed a few tears, but you can know she's at peace and out of any pain.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Thats a hard call, one you guys need to decide. I had to do that to a Rot. that was my best friend, he was only 5yrs old but was in heart failure!! Worst day of my life, and yes I will admit it is something I wouldnt wish on anyone!! But at the same time I could not let my friend suffer like he was...

I wish you luck in your decision...I know either way it wont be easy!

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    That pup has been loyal to you guys for 15 years. It is time that you do your duty and be loyal in return and do the deed.

As mentioned before...quality not quantity. DO NOT be selfish and force her to live an existence she can no longer enjoy. Also as mentioned, craddle and talk her away...and dont be afraid to shed the tears. I know when the comes i have to make this decision for my dog...not to far in the future...i will be a blubbering mess for quite a while.

Tdcompton

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Part of my duties require me to be a certified euthanasia technician... Humane euthanasia is extremely quick and painless if done correctly.. It is the greatest gift a responsible dog owner can give to their loyal companion.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Incontinence and lack of mobility are where I make the call. If you are willing to have another dog, now might be the time to get one. Especially with little ones - it can make the transition easier.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    Thats a hard call, one you guys need to decide. I had to do that to a Rot. that was my best friend, he was only 5yrs old but was in heart failure!! Worst day of my life, and yes I will admit it is something I wouldnt wish on anyone!! But at the same time I could not let my friend suffer like he was...

I wish you luck in your decision...I know either way it wont be easy!

I had to do this to a Rot as well. He was 6 and had cancer. I rescued him from a shelter when he was 3. In those 3 short years the bond between us was very strong. The day it was decided not to let him suffer I held him as he went and cried like a baby. The last words I said to him where " I will see you again on the other side my friend". An advocate for animal welfare was there to insure it was humane but looked at me like I was crazy for what I said.

It is never an easy choice to make but one that has to be made when a pet that is a family members time has come.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    It sounds like she may not be enjoying her life any more, and if there's nothing you can do to improve her living, then maybe it is time to bring her final peace.

Do you think she enjoys not being able to make it outside, not being able to hear very well, and having limited vision? I think the fact that you are asking says that you probably know the answer.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When my dog after 15 years(Australian Shepherd) finally just could not walk without being in pain and you could see the look in his eyes that he was "worn out".

We watched him slow over the last 2 years and it was manifested earlier by his Frisbee playing. He would play for shorter durations as time marched on. I still remember when we went out for his daily Frisbee fun and I threw it and he hobbled after it and just sat on the grass beside it.

My wife, son and his girlfriend(now his wife) took him to the vet. My wife and I stayed in the room. They gave him a shot to make him sleepy and then the shot to put him to sleep forever. It was a sad day.

But it is better to have loved and lost then to never loved at all. The right thing to do for the animal is to take away the discomfort and pain of advanced age. They will only get worse.

They say the only flaw a dog has it that they don't live long enough.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    It's a hard thing to do, and you will know when it's time.

If you do not do it and you see her suffer when she goes you will regret it. I had a Boston Terrier and she had water on the heart and lungs, I told the wife that it was time, she talked me into not doing it. It got to where she could not lay down and when she finally went, I regretted not doing it when I wanted to.

Do the right thing.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just had to do it for my friend Sparky (Boston Terrier). I had him since he was six weeks old and had him for 12 years. He started to lay around and not want to move much. I also noticed he was losing some weight. After two days me and my wife had to have the talk.

We made the decision to have him put down since we believed if we let him suffer that is was more for us not wanting to except it. We knew in our hearts the best thing was to let him sleep and relax away from his suffering.

I held him and talked to him during the process and broke down like a big baby while leaving the building. Thank goodness they sent me the bill cause I wouldn't have been able to make payment otherwise at the desk.

Turns out he had pancreatic cancer...

Best advice I can give is do what's best for your beloved friend and try and keep yourself out of the equation. Only then you'll have the answer your in search of.

Best of luck

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Normally I tell people to have their pet thoroughly checked out by a vet to make sure it the problem isn't something that can be taken care of. However with your dog's age, the incontinence issues, etc. it sounds like life has been lived as well as it can. Ultimately it's your call. You know if it's time or not. I know it's a hard thing to do but like it's been said before it's better to let them go before they are truly suffering IMO

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    As hard as it is, just answer this one question and you will know the answer. "Is the dog's life being prolonged for her welfare or for yours?" As people here have already said, it's a quality of life issue and it's difficult because in your mind you don't want to end her life too soon, but if she's being kept alive in pain or discomfort is it really worth it?

We had to put our Boston down last year. She was only 6 but had a brain tumor and it while it was hard, I know she never had to suffer through one more seizure. And, as our two beagles are getting much older I know this difficult question will soon be coming up again.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I hate these threads. . . .it's only been a year since I had to make the same agonizing decision but it still feels like yesterday. . . .

Just put mine down in October of 2012.

Make sure you're both on the same page about the whole thing. It doesn't sound like she'd live much longer anyway, hate to say. I'd talk to the vet before hand to make sure it will be done in a why you would like. In our case my wife didn't want to be there. Fine with me, I don't like to cry in front of her.

Hope the best for you.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I've been involved with this twice. The first time was really rough because it was the dog that I had pretty much grown up with. I was in my late teens at the time. It was obvious that it was necessary because our beloved friend was no longer mobile, in obvious pain when he tried, and in severe pain when he had to evacuate his bowels. Our family was also not in a position to afford a vet regardless of how inexpensive it may have been. We chose to take him down by a nearby river where we knew it was legal to discharge a firearm and take care of it ourselves. I know some may not agree with our methods but I can assure you it was very quick and humane. Dad and I gave him a nice little grave right there by the river. To this day many years later I can still take you to the exact spot. The second time was not many years ago for a sheltie that was my Dad's before he passed. It was also very obvious because the poor thing was also far from mobile and had lost her vision. She had been deaf from birth. There was also an issue with finding a vet willing to do the job. My parents had not lived in the area very long and when Mom tried to call some local vets she was met with resistance because they had never seen the dog. She called me for help. At the time she had some property in the country where it wasn't a problem and I knew it was what dad would have wanted. I would never tell anyone this was best for them but I have no regrets about either dog. I still have fond memories of both of them.

If you need to ask the question, I would say you already know the answer about your pet. I wish you the best.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    Based on what you have said, I don't see how waiting would be good for the dog.
    I have gone through this with a Jack Russell @ 11 and a Golden Retriever @ 13. It was very hard.
    I did call a local funeral home and after we visited the vet, the funeral home was great, the where 1/3 the price of the vet and sent a card signed by everybody on staff while we waited for the ashes and wooden box, a week or so later, we had a nice memorial box with a dog tag. it is hard to decide WHEN, but sometimes you just have to. Good Luck.

Top Bottom