Putting in a sump pump pit... suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Crawlspace needs a sump pump, so I will be digging a hole this weekend, and putting in a basin. Was looking at a zoeller sump pump, but that's not ordered yet.

I'm stubbing in for drain tile (with a flex drain tile section I will cap off), but that perimeter drain tile portion will come later. I'm planning to drill holes in the basin to collect water now (with river rock encapsulating the basin).

Been doing some research, and see a vent may be required from the basin. this is teh sux. Can I tie into an existing 1.5" plumbing vent? There is no short distance to vent to the outdoors, and I'd love to avoid putting a second hole through the brick exterior. I can get through to the laundry room, and tie into an existing vent easily. Bonus, that drain is an s trap, so if I ever had an overflow, it'd overflow into the sump pump instead of out the roof lol

For now, my plans are to dig a hole in a rather limited space, and if I am lucky, stub out the PVC drain through the exterior of the house.
    I will have to cut the basin in half to get it into the crawlspace. I see that simple aluminium strapping can be used to tie it back together once down there.

Any suggestions or recommendations while I am still early in this process?

Last edited:

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    You shouldn't need a vent for a sump pump. It is an open air pit and shouldn't be 100% sealed. If it's a sealed pit you may have a pit made for sanitary sewage.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You shouldn't need a vent for a sump pump. It is an open air pit and shouldn't be 100% sealed. If it's a sealed pit you may have a pit made for sanitary sewage.
    :ugh:
    Makes sense. I got a lid for it. Considering the crawlspace is vented, that's already vented to the outside (even if I cut a hole in the lid and screen it to keep critters out)
    I guess I was unsure on all the hub bub about radon n stuff. Certainly wasn't sure if it was code here in indiana.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Have a walkout basement on a hill and you will not need it.

That would require much more digging!

Check valve for sure... also saw mention of a small hole in the discharge pipe just above the sump pump helps to drain water from that small section between the pump and the check valve. though unsure why it's necessary/how it damages the pump, unless freezing is a concern? hard to imagine 3 ft deep in a crawl would freeze? dunno.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My set-up uses a flapper air valve (you can get them at the hardware or plumbing dept). The flapper valve sits at the high point of the sump drain line before it leaves the crawlspace and it lets air into the line so the water drains out when the pump kicks off. If you have it set up with the flapper valve, you don't need a backflow valve. The backflow valve can clog or get stuck closed and shorten the life of your pump.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    That would require much more digging!

Check valve for sure... also saw mention of a small hole in the discharge pipe just above the sump pump helps to drain water from that small section between the pump and the check valve. though unsure why it's necessary/how it damages the pump, unless freezing is a concern? hard to imagine 3 ft deep in a crawl would freeze? dunno.

The small hole is to reduce the head pressure on the pump. I believe the Zoeller has the hole already cast in the housing of the pump.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I would also recommend the Zoeller pump. The M-53 will suit your needs and provides a 3-year warranty. You will want the check valve, which Zoeller also makes. The hole in the discharge pipe IS to reduce head pressure during pump start up.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Well, got the basin in. Lots of standing water, and it was a mess. Which is why I wanted to do it really, so it was easier to dig. We spent just as much time bailing as we did digging. And there is just no leverage when digging so deep in such a confined space... The dirt was twice as heavy due to all the water, making it difficult for my son to haul and/or spread. so I put a tarp down, and we piled it onto it temporarily. Once it dries out a bit, we'll spread/haul from the tarp as needed.

But the basin and stubs (for future drain tile) are in... I managed to dig out our surrounding crawl space 'cover' so I got the basin into the crawl in one piece. I'll re-install it tomorrow (and put a second basin in the crawl, just in case). Half a day job. only 2 hours on the digging/bailing portion, but quite a few hours of prep and cleanup. Now to order my sump pump, and prep for install on it.

Special thanks to my Jedi (and not so happy looking) son Ian....

11136767_10156193839923125_7521848456571210331_n_zpstkawlpaq.jpg

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    One question. Dumbass me forgot to put the lid on when dumping the river rock, and I got some in the basin.
    I know it should be removed, but do sump pumps typically have screens to protect from debris?
    Do I need to bail water and remove gravel prior to installing the pump? or can I run it once, just to ditch the water and then clean out the gravel?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Geeze...I feel for you and the Jedi. That looks like a nasty mess......

Really wasn't that bad... just took time, and pressure... easy things compared to my day job. Having said that, I didn't used to cramp in my younger days.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    One question. Dumbass me forgot to put the lid on when dumping the river rock, and I got some in the basin.
    I know it should be removed, but do sump pumps typically have screens to protect from debris?
    Do I need to bail water and remove gravel prior to installing the pump? or can I run it once, just to ditch the water and then clean out the gravel?
    It would be a good idea to remove any debris from the sump pit. Most pumps I've seen don't have screens on them. The pump I have will discharge up to 3/8" solids. But why put it through that.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    It would be a good idea to remove any debris from the sump pit. Most pumps I've seen don't have screens on them. The pump I have will discharge up to 3/8" solids. But why put it through that.

Good to know... maybe I can temporarily put in a screen for the initial discharge... or just old fashion bail the water out

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Compared to my day job, I'd be down in there with you anytime (but glad you got the work done).. And in one word..

Ugh..

Really wasn't that bad... just took time, and pressure... easy things compared to my day job. Having said that, I didn't used to cramp in my younger days.

Remind me to never go to work with you guys, lol. I would rather roof an entire house than dig another sump pit.

Top Bottom