• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok aplogies if this is in the wrong area? But I am guessing some here might also know something or another about paintball guns?

Looking to get one for my son. Would appreciate any suggestions pertaining to a good value make and model that wont break the bank.
    thanks

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Presuming he's a beginner I highly suggest the Tippmann line of markers. Most fields use them as a rental and they are very solidly built. We have about 150 of them at the field I run and some of them are over 15 years old. A little bit of oil and the occasional cleaning and they just keep on working. Tippmann is based out of Ft. Wayne and have excellent customer service.
    As far as higher end markers there are many to choose from. I suggest waiting on one of the electronic ones until he's ready for it.
    Stay away from Kingman and Spyder. They are metric and sometimes parts are hard to find.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Check out the forum that DanVoils runs (Dan, post the link). If you don't get the info you are looking for on INGO, check them out. I'm sure you will find everything you are looking for over there.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    As someone who used to be into paintball and has done a few tournaments, I'll tell you that its a lot like actual firearms in the way that different paintball markers are made for different types of play. Woodsball or speedball?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Unless he really gets into it, it will be mostly father son time we have a parcel with a little elbow room and about a quarter acre of woods. He may some some friends come over. So really looking for something reliable durable and not too expensive, basically a reliable starting point

Thanks

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Unless he really gets into it, it will be mostly father son time we have a parcel with a little elbow room and about a quarter acre of woods. He may some some friends come over. So really looking for something reliable durable and not too expensive, basically a reliable starting point

Thanks
    Then I would highly suggest a Tippmann. You can even fill the CO2 tanks on your own in the garage.
    I'm an Admin for PbNation | Paintball's Home Page. It's the largest paintball based message forum in the world and the 14th largest vBulletin board in existence. I suggest looking through the new player section.
    The greatest thing to enforce is the use of the mask and barrel cover. Anytime a barrel cover is off they must wear a mask. An ASTM approved mask. Paintball is very safe when the rules are followed. It does build a lot of bonding with your son. You can also use the 4 basic firearms rules and use paintball to teach proper gun handling. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
    Dan

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    All I can think of is this:
    Paintball_Headshot_OUCH.gif

Sounds like fun stuff, and I can't wait until my boys are old enough (2 and 4 now)

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Can't go wrong with a Tippman. The lowest model Tippman is better than most middle and some high end maker Paintball markers. I would rather pay $150.00 for a Tippman 98 than a spider or piranha. Paintball can get real expensive. Do some research on Paintball markers, balls, and accessories. Wait until you get up there with the markers like the Angel with nitrous. Your going to love it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Presuming he's a beginner I highly suggest the Tippmann line of markers. Most fields use them as a rental and they are very solidly built. We have about 150 of them at the field I run and some of them are over 15 years old. A little bit of oil and the occasional cleaning and they just keep on working. Tippmann is based out of Ft. Wayne and have excellent customer service.
    As far as higher end markers there are many to choose from. I suggest waiting on one of the electronic ones until he's ready for it.
    Stay away from Kingman and Spyder. They are metric and sometimes parts are hard to find.

What paintball field do you run?

My brothers and I were just talking about wanting to try out paint balling over the weekend, and was unsure where to go.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    What paintball field do you run?

My brothers and I were just talking about wanting to try out paint balling over the weekend, and was unsure where to go.
    Paintball Indiana just south of Mooresville. If you're coming down 67 you can swing into Bradis first. :rockwoot: They open at 10 and we open at noon. I've known Shooter through paintball longer than I've known him through firearms. The website is Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis Paintball Field

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    As Dan said, I would also go with the Tippman line of markers. I used to play D3 XBall for a few years and the field my team was based out of used these for rental. We were also using the Empire Invert Mini's when they first came out and we hated them. I heard they have gotten better (i've been out for about 5 years since I got married) but i always referred back to my NYX Matrix.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Tippecanoe County
    The number of paintball fields that run Tippmanns as rentals is a testament to their durability and reliability. Once upon a time, when I played collegiate paintball, our home field used Tippmann for their rentals. I have never seen a marker that will take as much abuse as a Tippmann will.

Dan is right on with the safety rules. Masks and barrel socks are a big deal, make sure they remember it. A .68 cal paintball at 300fps will turn an eyeball to mush.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    The number of paintball fields that run Tippmanns as rentals is a testament to their durability and reliability. Once upon a time, when I played collegiate paintball, our home field used Tippmann for their rentals. I have never seen a marker that will take as much abuse as a Tippmann will.

Dan is right on with the safety rules. Masks and barrel socks are a big deal, make sure they remember it. A .68 cal paintball at 300fps will turn an eyeball to mush.

My son is no stranger to gun safety, He is very responsible makes me proud we always go over the rules when cleaning and practice safe arms handling. But at any rate what is a barrel sock? something that would stop a negligent discharge?

Thanks all

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My son is no stranger to gun safety, He is very responsible makes me proud we always go over the rules when cleaning and practice safe arms handling. But at any rate what is a barrel sock? something that would stop a negligent discharge?

Thanks all

Precisely. Years ago we used barrel plugs but as they became worn they actually flew out at near velocity. Now we use a barrel sock or cover. They generally are made of cordura and have an elastic band that holds them in place. If the marker is improperly discharged the sock grabs the balls and breaks it without passing any of the shell or paint. The 2 cardinal rules in paintball are masks on the inside [of the netted playing area] and covers on the outside. Essentially there must always be something between the barrel tip and your eye.
    You can relate it to always wearing eye protection when shooting a firearm.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Tippmann 98 series. Can't go wrong. Robust and reliable. Not a gas hog.

+ whatever. Simple too! I rented a small Co2 bottle and bought a filling station and filled my son's and mine for free by selling fills to his friends for $2 each. They got a deal and we shot for just the cost of the paint balls. Plus an occasionally hamstring strain while playing woods ball.:)

Top Bottom