• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    how are you doing so far? How far out have you gotten? Are you learning to use your equipment, or just walking it in at distance? I ask because I'm on the same path, though I'm not getting out to shoot much this season.
    I still haven't shot past 250, mainly been waiting for all of the components I want to use and then I will look for longer ranges. I have learned a lot from youtube (TiborasauusRex) and a few others.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I still haven't shot past 250, mainly been waiting for all of the components I want to use and then I will look for longer ranges. I have learned a lot from youtube (TiborasauusRex) and a few others.

I find his vids very informative. From my perspective he seems to speak with a level of common sense.

phidelt208

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I'm in your same boat taking my time working my way out with a 65 creed that I built. 500 surprise I've been able to get but it works well so far

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I'm hoping to put together a Savage 10p-sr .308 + Primary Arms DMR 4-14x44mm build soon.
    I signed up at Young's Longshot and I'm eager to hear the farther plates ring. :D

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    That's a great start. Even when you cant find a further range, there is still something to be said about proper practice even at shorter distances. Keep it up!

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    get a chronograph and a ballistic program. (applied ballistics is about $25 on my iphone) Get your muzzle velocity, put in all the other factors, and you should have hits a 1000 within 10 rounds if you can call the wind correctly. I use a Kestrel 4500 with applied ballistics and a magneto v3 chronograph. You would be surprised at how easy it is to reach out that far and get first round hits with the right equipment.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    get a chronograph and a ballistic program. (applied ballistics is about $25 on my iphone) Get your muzzle velocity, put in all the other factors, and you should have hits a 1000 within 10 rounds if you can call the wind correctly. I use a Kestrel 4500 with applied ballistics and a magneto v3 chronograph. You would be surprised at how easy it is to reach out that far and get first round hits with the right equipment.

Thanks for the info, I will have to look at it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

I would agree though finding the right load combinations to consistently hit 1000 is the biggest hurdle. Everything else is just a math problem...

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    No problem. My gun typically likes the 175gr SMK Federal Gold Medal Match for out to 1000yds. Federal just released a new load using the berger 185gr juggernaut bullets. That should allow my 20" to push those about 1150 yards before they go subsonic. The issue a lot of people have when shooting out to 1000 is when they bullet passes from supersonic to subsonic. IF you can find a factory load (or load your own) round that stays supersonic out beyond 1000yds you will have a significantly better chance of consistently making hits. I would say on AVERAGE the normal factory loaded .308 goes subsonic around 700-800 depending on barrel length and twist (also atmospherics).

Top Bottom