• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I have a chance to get a .380 keltec p3-a. Are they worth having?
    I have a fullsize 9mm it would be nice to have a smaller carry, but a .380. I could give it to the wife. Whats your opinions?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It's a no-frills pocket gun for EDC.

If you're wanting that, then get it. All the ones I've ever been around were decently reliable and were thinner than a slim wallet. Weighs practically nothing as well, and is fairly comfortable to carry in a front pocket. Stay away from "hot loads" like buffalo bore and such, and it will probably serve you well. So many people that have problems with these little guns, can fix their problems by buying a 9mm in the first place and not trying to make a 380 perform like one.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I had one prior to getting a Ruger LCP.

Not a bad firearm for when you need a pocket carry... particularly if you can get it for the right price.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    It's a no-frills pocket gun for EDC.

If you're wanting that, then get it. All the ones I've ever been around were decently reliable and were thinner than a slim wallet. Weighs practically nothing as well, and is fairly comfortable to carry in a front pocket. Stay away from "hot loads" like buffalo bore and such, and it will probably serve you well. So many people that have problems with these little guns, can fix their problems by buying a 9mm in the first place and not trying to make a 380 perform like one.
    Agrred, every weapon has a "give and take' aspect to it......contradictory to what you will randomly read on this highly opinionated site....can be weeded out upon a close thought process. The best answer is .....get what you like and what fits the way you want to use it. Others opinions will serve as a guide.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    My Kel Tec has been flawless.

BTW, its a P3AT.

Not a lot of fun to shoot. Your wife may not like it.

You say you can get one? For how much? You can pick one up all day long for $200.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    My Kel Tec has been flawless.

BTW, its a P3AT.

Not a lot of fun to shoot. Your wife may not like it.

You say you can get one? For how much? You can pick one up all day long for $200.

I had someone offer one for my Apple g5 and screen. Wasnt sure about it, so I thought I would ask for opinions. It was not what I was looking for as a trade anyways.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Why the 380 when you can pick up the P11 with 11 shots of the 9mm? The price is close to the 380 and you'll have more fire power and more sit you on your fanny power. I love my P11. I have had no problems of any kind and it is one of the smallest 9's out there and with 11 rounds?? Put a few mags in your pocket and you have 31 rounds of fighting power. 10 shot mag's 1 in the pipe, 31 rounds!! I feel the P11 is one of the best kept secrets in the 9mm class. Now that's my $0.02 worth

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Most of the Kel-tec problems are like all of the other small pistols. They need to be taken apart and properly lubrcated and then run 50 to 100 rds thru them for a break in.
    FMJ ammo is the best ammo for the job. I have found that Pow-R-Ball ammo is best for defensive carry, as it is a hollow point with a polymer tip to give it the shape of a FMJ. This shape reduces the ftf %.
    Just my 2 cents.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Had a buddy who's friends with a guy who's cousins, brothers, friends, girlfriends,brother had one. Good customer service is what "someone" said. But, I read a forum that said they are ok.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I like my P3AT. Had some problems out of the box, but after some "fluff & buff" it runs very well, and shoots CorBon DPX just fine.
    It's also the one gun I have where I have found a laser to be useful.

Muntz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    You get what you pay for, especially is you decide to trade or sell it later. Buy the best you can afford and you won't be dissapointed later.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    A friend had one and got rid of it. Couldn't deal with the numerous FTE's. And yes, it had over 200 round thru it and was properly cleaned and lubed.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I carry a P3AT as my daily pocket pistol, i put the clip on mine, and everyone thinks it's a pocket knife. I like how small it is, i replaced my PF-9 with it because it hides easier in shorts for the summer. As far as being to small, a lot of police forces in Europe once used .380 acp as issue weapons, and i think hearing any firearm being discharged, would deter most aggressors.

Top Bottom