• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had them in the past. They are OK, but I prefer the look and feel to the standard KVAR polymer ones. My biggest complaint is the gap found on both of the bottom corners where the hand guard meets the receiver.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    That seems to be the biggest complaint I have read in online reviews. I would like something a bit more modular than the standard handguards. Mainly to add a light and foregrip or AFG to.

Do you have any suggestions on a better set up for that?

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    Anyone have an opinion on these?

AK-47/74 Rail System Handguard Set - AK-L/U

Good, bad, otherwise?

The one that I handle, but did not shoot with, seemed fairly stout. I don't really like the idea of rails bolted on to the handguard but to each his own. As far as I know Mako makes quality parts.

I haven't seen one in person but have you looked at what Hogue offers? It looks designed more like a standard handguard and I think it's rubberized on the bottom half for grip.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Look up the rail & grip offerings from Mission First Tactical. Awesome products, but highly over looked. My $.02

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The one that I handle, but did not shoot with, seemed fairly stout. I don't really like the idea of rails bolted on to the handguard but to each his own. As far as I know Mako makes quality parts.

I haven't seen one in person but have you looked at what Hogue offers? It looks designed more like a standard handguard and I think it's rubberized on the bottom half for grip.

That is the other one I have been looking at. The I like the classic look of the Hogue but not so sure I would like the rubberized grip.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You might look at this one. Indiana company.
    AK-47 Modular Forearm Assembly MkIII | Damage Industries
    I don't know anyone that has one, but I've considered it.

Ooh! Spendy but it looks nice. It has decent reviews but it looks like it has the same handguard to receiver fit issue the MI rail system has.

I'm kinda stuck between the Mako/FAB and the MFT Tekko.

I would like to know about the 922r compliance with the Mako unit if anyone has any info on that I would appreciate it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I was doing a little reloading practice last night, and I found that the way I strip the mags out of the rifle causes the floorplate to strike the handguards and it is beating up my Bulgarian plastic pretty bad.

So for this reason I have decided to go with Aluminum handguards. So far everything I have found is saying the Damage Inc. unit Yamadog posted is one of the best systems on the market.

If anyone has any first hand experiance with the Damage Inc. AK rail I would like to hear your opinions please and thank you.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a MI forearm on one of my AKs, I like it. Not traditional by any means, but I like it.

The wood handguards on my Yugo heat up like a SOB, and so did the plastic ones that Century put on it initially, both though don't have a heat shield.

On my M+M M70 the UTG forearm would also get freaking HOT, enough to let those little rail covers to fall off without touching.

The Midwest Industries seems to vent heat better and not get stupid hot, then again, I've never done more than 80 rounds rapid fire through it. They do leave a gap between the receiver and the rail, but oh well, it's an AK right? Just picture those gaps as a crud spillage hole.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ok so if anyone cares I have spent to much time doing research on AK handguards and in doing so I came across this little tid bit on info:

Damage Industries · PO Box 1534 · Granger, IN 46530

Looks like Damage Industries in a Hoosier company so that by default makes them my choice. I will be getting a Damage Industries rail system for my AK.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Ok so if anyone cares I have spent to much time doing research on AK handguards and in doing so I came across this little tid bit on info:

Damage Industries · PO Box 1534 · Granger, IN 46530

Looks like Damage Industries in a Hoosier company so that by default makes them my choice. I will be getting a Damage Industries rail system for my AK.

I finally got a Damage Industries put on my WASR 10/63, great rail system far as I"m concerned. Had previously bought a MI / USPALM set and found it way too heavy for my liking and felt very bulky up there. Hope you enjoy yours.

For the sake of saying, I had to file a bit off my top section because the DI rail was some .040" longer than my stock gas tube and wouldn't nest into the rear trunion correctly as was. Emailed DI and was told their stock rail should drop right into a WASR. I agree, it should, I'm betting it was more my rifles dimensions being off than the rails though.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    If I do go with the Mako/FAB handguards will that put my rifle out of compliance with 922r since they are Israeli made?

In a word, NO.

FYI for anyone else reading this thread. Stamped receiver AK's only require 6 compliance parts. For 922R AK's are considered to be made up of 16 main parts. No more than 10 can be imported.

For instance, combine a US Made Muzzle Device (1), US Made Gas Piston (that makes 2), US Made Trigger (3!), US Made Disconnector (4), US Made Hammer (5, almost there...), and a US made (Tacpco) magazine (counts as 3 US parts; Mag body, follower, & floor plate. That makes 6, 7, and 8! More than enough!) and you're fine. You can then use whatever furniture you want.

Some references material below:

TAPCO - Section 922r Compliance

AK-47 922(r) Compliance Chart

Gunwiki: 922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds

Disclaimer: I am not a Lawyer. I am not writing authoritatively as such. Section 922R is clear enough for anyone to read, but if you can't be bothered to read it for yourself, I will not take responsibility for your not doing so. My tips and info are presented as a helpful refresher and not as a replacement for your personal reading of the law.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom