• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Ok Cabelas is having a sale on a Bushmaster AR-15 with red dot this weekend and i need some advice. Here is what the ad says "Bushmaster .223/5.56 with bushmaster red dot carbon composite upper and lowers. Includes two 30 rnd mags, soft carry case and black sling.

1. not sure how good a bushmaster red dot will be but im sure its nothing special.

2. true question i have here is how would a all carbon rifle be? I mean im not going to war with it but would like to use it as a range gun without worries.

Any advice would be appreciated, and let me know if u have one or have shot one and how it is or was.

The sale price is $649.99, this a good deal?

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    im not into the carbon fiber AR's. I think they are way too high priced for what they are. there. i gave my honest opinion. i have seen regular bushys sell on here for $700. id trust it a lot more and also metal will have a better re-sale if you ever upgrade or whatever.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Is that pretty much the only neg of an all carbon upper and lower is re-sale? I been doind a bit of searching online and havent really found anything neg. about them and if it is just re-sale value thats fine with me I am not one to sell my guns because you can never have to many.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i have no personal experience
    the red dots probably cheap rubbish though. just from casual reading the carbon-15 seems to have proprietary parts, i think ive read the buffer tube threading to the lower is a fragile point, reliability problems, just flat out not as durable as forged upper and lower receiver will be, unless your specifically trying to make the lightest gun possible you'd be better served with a normal AR, i'd say buy right the first time and dont skimp on that carbon novelty act. just my opinion.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Yea afters some research I'm gonna spend the extra couple hundred and get an aluminum ar. Again thanks for the opinions and ill be posting pics of whatever I get in the pic fourms.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    im a little late to your party, but i would stay away from the carbon

i had the bushmaster carbon in 9mm, and the upper litteraly seperated from the lower while firing,

the 2 lugs that the takedown pins go though to attach the upper to the lower sheared clean off, the upper

the gun just came apart in my hands while shooting, bushmaster fixed the gun for free only a 6 week turn around....... i sold it after i got it back and would not buy another one.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Again guys thank you so much for the advice and opinions, I had gone to cabelas and looked at the carbon in person and was not at all impressed by just the look of it. I than went to a local gun shop here in Valp called Blythes, they had a S&W MP15OR for 699.99 and i bought one of these. Seems to be a great gun cant wait to shoot it, me and my brother are going to willow slough Saturday to try it out, Cant wait!!!

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Yea, only prob i just noticed is i got 3 pmag mags and it wont feed...any suggestions? Im gonna google and see what i come up with, if anything ill just take them back and trade em out for others, but man I teally like the PMags. :-/

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yea, only prob i just noticed is i got 3 pmag mags and it wont feed...any suggestions? Im gonna google and see what i come up with, if anything ill just take them back and trade em out for others, but man I teally like the PMags. :-/

Do all 3 mags have issues feeding? If so, then I doubt its the mags (PMAGs are normally g2g).

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    yea, all three, one of them went in without a prob at first and than i tried again and it didnt feed all the way, kinda seems like its gettin caught on the llip of the mag, but im not wanting to sand it to find out and it not be the mag and i cant return them and end up sanding to much to where i cant use them

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Yes, shooter you are correct, I went and looked at it today and it was a bushnell red dot. The gui spoke to told me the battery life on it was terrible and that it was just a very very cheap reddot.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    yea, all three, one of them went in without a prob at first and than i tried again and it didnt feed all the way, kinda seems like its gettin caught on the llip of the mag, but im not wanting to sand it to find out and it not be the mag and i cant return them and end up sanding to much to where i cant use them

Oh so the bullets aren't having trouble feeding, its the magazine that you're having trouble inserting. Got it!

This is common with lowers with tight magwells. Most either sand down their PMAGs or run other mags. You might try Lancers or Magpul's EMAG.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The gui spoke to told me the battery life on it was terrible and that it was just a very very cheap reddot.

Interesting sales strategy. :n00b:

I have owned a TRS-25 for several years now and have been pretty impressed with it. Battery life is in excess of 600 hours when left on at the medium brightness setting. OTOH, I have no direct experience with the tube-style 25mm Bushnell sights.

Top Bottom