• ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Clif bars
    Clif makes some great tasting stuff and being tasty and palatable is important. Works well if you are doing something active like carrying your BOB as you trek to your bugout location or simply run away from what is spewing from the fan. With a Clif bar and a couple bottles of water I can ride my bike 50 miles.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    There are a couple ways to look at food for a BOB. If you establish a routine of evaluating, updating, and inspecting your BOB on a regular basis, you can use off-the-shelf commercial products with relatively short shelf-lives, such as the individual peanutbutter servings, cheese-and-crackers packages, individual MRE servings, bullion cubes, etc. Plan your rations accordingly and switch stuff out on a regular basis just as you do with your canned goods and other preps at home.

Another way you can look at food for a BOB that doesn't see much use and you aren't constantly inventorying and reevaluating - the one like mine that sits in the car truck year round - is to buy compact rations with long shelf-lives that you can put in your pack and forget for a couple years. Stuff like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mainstay-Emergency-Food-Rations-Calorie/dp/B000QZ3CWC

have a long shelf life, don't taste so good that you'll be tempted to pilfer them while on a day trip somewhere, and yet will provide a minimal calorie and nutrition base for any survival scrounging that you may need to do to supplement your rations in a survival situation.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Ever thought about just making your own? Oats, honey, jello gelatin (your fav flavor), powdered milk and some water. Food saver em and call it good. If interested, I can PM you a recipe.

oldnovice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree that Datrex/SOS/Mainstay/Millennium bars are a throw it in and forget it for a couple of years option. My opinion is that any of these taste OK for what they are intended to do. If you are the type that remembers to regularly rotate items it can be cheaper and healthier to make your own. I found this article recently while surfing that discusses this topic:
    GORP: The better bug out bag survival food

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Ever thought about just making your own? Oats, honey, jello gelatin (your fav flavor), powdered milk and some water. Food saver em and call it good. If interested, I can PM you a recipe.

I was googling a bit and stumbled across some DIY recipes. I'd sure be interested in yours as I would feel it's a bit more trustworthy lol

Top Bottom