• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I am planing on taking a trip this weekend to the Hoosier National Forest. My question is. Can i camp anywhere in the forest that i want? Im wanting to be able to be hiking on a trail and just decided that i like this part of the forest and set up my tent? I believe the answer is yes, but I haven't found a deffinent answer on their website.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Yes. Common sense rules apply though. I forget them specifically though, but it's something like 100 yards from trail, roads, and water.
    So basically hike off trail 100 yards away from creeks, lakes etc. and road and make camp.
    Don't forget trowel for making cat hole. Nothing like stumbling across used toilet paper in the forest......
    Have a good time.

edit:
    Just noticed you're from Noblesville, don't overlook closer parks like Morgan Monroe and Yellow wood parks. (Their rules for camping are different though. A bit more specific.)

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Primitive or roadside camping is allowed on NF land away from developed campgrounds, and anywhere your camping equipment and/or vehicle does not block developed trails or road rights-of-way. Roadside camping should be done at established sites if any are provided. We do not have maps for where these sites are located, but if you drive most Forest roads, you are likely to see them in the more popular areas of the Forest. It is not necessary to check in with the Forest Service when you camp overnight.
    Camping is also NOT allowed within designated special areas, at day use trailheads including Grubb Ridge and Blackwell Pond, or at the Hickory Ridge Fire Tower site. Camping is also not allowed within 300 feet of trailheads. The exceptions are Hemlock Cliffs and Buzzard Roost, and at the horse camps where camping is allowed.
    Parking is prohibited on Tower Ridge Road except at designated trailheads. Otherwise vehicles can be parked within one vehicle length or within a specified distance up to 30 feet from the edge of a designated road.
    Bring enough water for the duration of your stay. Leave a clean campsite by packing out all refuse. No garbage service is provided and leaving your trash is illegal and can result in steep penalties.
    There is no charge for primitive camping, although a 14-day limitation is in effect. If you set up camp, personal property must not be left unattended overnight. In the Charles C. Deam Wilderness, group size is limited to 10 people. In other parts of the Forest, groups larger than 75 people require a permit.
    Bringing un-certified firewood into the Forest is prohibited. Please check for current restrictions such as fire bans before heading out to camp and practice Leave No Trace Principals.

From:Hoosier National Forest- Camping &navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&pnavid=110000000000000&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT

Hope that helps.

Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Just noticed you're from Noblesville, don't overlook closer parks like Morgan Monroe and Yellow wood parks. (Their rules for camping are different though. A bit more specific.)
    Thanks but we are going south to go to a few other places as well. We just figured while we were there we would camp. But im not the kind of person who likes people to have a camp site right next to me. It takes the fun out of it.

Top Bottom