• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • codydugger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    avon,in
    Im sorry if this has been answered already, but i was wanting to know if my father which has his ltch can carry a firearm that is registered to me until we can get it transfered to his name?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Um....how did you manage to get a firearm "registered" to you? Are you just talking about buying it and filling out the 4473?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes. Possession = Ownership. If he is carrying the gun it is his. When you carry the gun it is yours. No registration. No need to involve a form 4473.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There really isn't a way to transfer it to him unless you sell it to him and give him a bill of sale with the serial number on it. But it's really not necessary. License to carry a handgun=license to carry any handgun, not just one you have purchased.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    READ the words on your LTCH!! "Licensee is hereby licensed by The Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle ANY HANDGUN LAWFULLY POSSESSED by Licensee." yada, yada, yada. You hand your pistol to your father, he has lawful possession of it because you let him carry it for you. It's not stolen, he's not a felon or an improper person, he has LAWFUL possession.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    READ the words on your LTCH!! "Licensee is hereby licensed by The Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle ANY HANDGUN LAWFULLY POSSESSED by Licensee." yada, yada, yada. You hand your pistol to your father, he has lawful possession of it because you let him carry it for you. It's not stolen, he's not a felon or an improper person, he has LAWFUL possession.
    READ the OP's post. He said his father has the LTCH.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I wondered the same thing when I started carrying. I'm assuming he's a "proper person" since he has a LTCH so he can carry your firearm. There's no need to have it transferred to him if you both live in Indiana.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    thanks everyone, I just wanted to make sure before I told him it was ok

Still curious where you "registered" your firearm as your initial post indicates. However, like everyone has said you don't have to register in Indiana (thank heavens). As long as the gun is not in the police system as stolen you will be a-okay.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Still curious where you "registered" your firearm as your initial post indicates. However, like everyone has said you don't have to register in Indiana (thank heavens). As long as the gun is not in the police system as stolen you will be a-okay.

Lots of misinformation out there about this topic. I myself thought that when purchasing a new firearm and going through the check the model and serial # was supplied to the BATF. Took years before I found out otherwise.

Can't learn without asking questions. Well, I can't, anyway.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Lots of misinformation out there about this topic. I myself thought that when purchasing a new firearm and going through the check the model and serial # was supplied to the BATF. Took years before I found out otherwise.

Can't learn without asking questions. Well, I can't, anyway.

Yea, I could see how people would think part of the process of buying a gun from a store would include registering.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    is it ok to carry a back up more than 1 at a time ?

You can legally carry as many as you want. Carry all of them at once, if your pants will hold up all the holsters. You can carry them taped to your forehead if you want. You can carry them loaded or unloaded. The only thing that Indiana statutes define are the locations where you can't carry (such as schools).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yes. That is how you can be 18 to get a LTCH permit but have to wait until 21 to buy a handgun.

Uhhh....you don't have to be 21 to buy a handgun. FFL's cannot sell handguns to persons under 21, and that's a federal law that applies to FFLs, not a law that applies to the buyer. You can still buy one as a private transaction from a non-FFL. I know that sounds pedantic, but there's enough misinformation out there as it is. It's in all of our best interests to be specific.

Top Bottom