• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have always been a cheapie when it comes to pocket knives. My field dressing knife is a nicer buck that I got as a present but for the most part I always carry a buck trio or swiss army knives.

The wife got me a new case medium stockman and it is super nice. I wasn't familiar with case aside from the ads in my smkw catalogs so I read up.

Just curious, do most people prefer the SS or CV blade on a case? I think mine is trusharp SS it said.

Secondly, The blades all feel fairly rough for a new knife. Almost like they weren't smoothed as a final step. Is that common or the type of metal? I am only use to a buck 420HC and this case metal looks so much different.

Thanks for the input

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    case knives are great blades. they usually come very sharp. I have had good luck with both ss and cv. every now and then sometimes a step gets missed at the factory so maybe they didn't get the final polishing on it. run it on a fine diamond stone a few passes and then run it on the strop it will be good to go.

congrats on the new blade

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Case XX make the best pocket knives. I used to have a collection of 300 or so but sold most to pay for a cracked head on my tractor amongst other things. I made $ on every one as they go up in value. I carry a case xx as well.

As far as SS vs CV they each have their advantages. SS holds an edge longer but once it is dull is it more difficult to get the edge back on it at least for me. CV will not hold the edge as long but it is easier for me to sharpen.

Blades should not feel rough unless you got a bottom line case. Usually they are mirror polished and razor sharp

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Case XX make the best pocket knives. I used to have a collection of 300 or so but sold most to pay for a cracked head on my tractor amongst other things. I made $ on every one as they go up in value. I carry a case xx as well.

As far as SS vs CV they each have their advantages. SS holds an edge longer but once it is dull is it more difficult to get the edge back on it at least for me. CV will not hold the edge as long but it is easier for me to sharpen.

Blades should not feel rough unless you got a bottom line case. Usually they are mirror polished and razor sharp

hmm....it was 54.99 from basspro. Harvest orange bone medium stockman pocket worn. Maybe ill send it back and exchange it.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    hmm....it was 54.99 from basspro. Harvest orange bone medium stockman pocket worn. Maybe ill send it back and exchange it.

$54.99 Harvest Orange is one that I used to own - not a bottom line case by any means. The blades should look like a mirror except the edge of course as they use a grinder to sharpen them at the factory.

Top Bottom