• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Well we have some different options; leave gun in Indiana, bring gun to friends house but leave secured and locked in car or lock gun in a case and leave in friends house. I don't know when this journey begins but this Tuesday evening 3-14-207 I will be in Rantoul Illinois for the monthly meeting of GUNS SAVE LIFE and our speaker this month is supposed to be a lawyer that will speak and take questions about gun rights in Illinois. I will run this by the speaker and see what his opinion is and report back. I think all three options are legal but we will see Tuesday evening. Jim.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Sorry, I did not get an answer as planned. The speaker specializes in the area of self defense shootings and talked just about what to do and say (and not say) in the aftermath of a self defense shooting. It was a great presentation and lots of questions until things ran out of time. Jim.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Read the state statutes Illinois law plainly states YOU CANOT BE IN POCCESION OF A FIREARM WITHOUT HAVING A VALID FOIDCARD. There's nothing in there about a gun in a lock box and residents with no key, or anything like that. As far as ammo sales go if you don't have a valid FOID card you ain't gettin the ammo.

I suppose the question is: "what is 'possession'"?

whatwehavehere

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    Indiana
    As long as your friends aren't felons, a bunch of 13 year olds, or otherwise not allowed to have guns, you can leave it with them.
    Before entering city limits though (maybe all of Ill.), your gun needs to be unloaded and in a case (glovebox qualifies). Or if not in a case, it needs to be disassembled and out of reach while in your car.

It could depend on the gun too since Cook County bans all sorts of guns, including any gun with a laser attached. They have some limit on mag capacity too.

Actually, if you generally drive places without getting into gunfights, don't even take it.

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    As long as your friends aren't felons, a bunch of 13 year olds, or otherwise not allowed to have guns, you can leave it with them.
    Before entering city limits though (maybe all of Ill.), your gun needs to be unloaded and in a case (glovebox qualifies). Or if not in a case, it needs to be disassembled and out of reach while in your car.

It could depend on the gun too since Cook County bans all sorts of guns, including any gun with a laser attached. They have some limit on mag capacity too.

Actually, if you generally drive places without getting into gunfights, don't even take it.
    Lots of bad info here. You may want to take the time to read this.

Firearm Concealed Carry Act

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So far, it doesn't prohibit Non residents from carrying inside their cars, or leaving it stored in their cars if they walk away from it.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

How did you come to have this information?

whatwehavehere

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Lived in Chicago for quite a while until somewhat recently. As a gun owner, it's information I needed to know.
    If I remember right, Illinois state police has a guide on their website. Illinois State Rifle Association had a summary of rules or a link to one as well. Of course, Chicago has all sorts of other rules but they primarily regard concealed (on the body) weapons and where you cannot be with them, and don't apply if unloaded and in a case. There are web forums like this one for Illinoisians and Chicagoans where you could find more detail.

Top Bottom