• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My suggestion would be to avoid the Hornady LNL AP. It's a lot like an old British roadster. It runs well most of the time, but it requires a bit of tinkering. Especially the case feeder.
    I have one, and have been using it for a couple of years. Tens of thousands of rounds with no major issues. Just a lot of fiddling. To do it again, I would probably look at Dillon.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I traded my lee progressive for a uniflow...felt like I got a hell of a deal.

I reload 3 calibers on my 550 and prime them all on press.
    Once the 223 pockets are reamed you don't have to do it again....load just like any other caliber.

I'd never buy a progressive other than a Dillon. ...and I have no use for a 650...the 550 keeps me in plenty of ammo for the 2-300 rounds a week that I shoot.

God bless
    - Shred

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    I'll echo what others have said: Dillon.

I had a Lee Pro1000 and a Loadmaster. Both did what you are describing. I bought one of the early Dillon 650's and never looked back.

If you don't load thousands, a 550 is great. I had one but sold it to a friend who was having Lee Pro1000 issues like you are and I wasn't using it much. He loves it.

Buy once, cry once.

Happy reloading and stay safe.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I would probably get the 550. I have the 650 and I like it, but I don't know what it gains me really. I don't use the extra station for anything, now that I am used to running the press. I thought it was nice when I first started as training wheels, plus I was using titegroup which is harder to see quickly, but now I don't use the powder checks. I don't know what the rifle limitations are on what you can load on the 650? BUT, you can also change calibers much more quickly than some make it seem on the 650, if you have a dedicated small and large primer setup, plus multiple toolheads to leave the dies installed on. I can change from 9mm to 45 in less than 10 mins. If you have multiple powder funnel setups, it makes it faster yet to get loading after the change.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You have to remember, with a 650 you are severely limited on what rifle cartridge's you can load with it.
    There only 6 or 7 that you can load.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    (Not arguing, sincerely asking) Really? What are they? So far, I have figured out 223, 458, I assume 308,... I did not know that? Off to research. Ha

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I take a retraction, it looks like Dillon has added LOTS of conversions for the 650 in rifle cartridge's..

Steelworker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Allen County
    You have to remember, with a 650 you are severely limited on what rifle cartridge's you can load with it.
    There only 6 or 7 that you can load.

Not sure if serious meme.

I think I just counted 66 available in the dillon catalog. Agreed that's not as many as the 550 has available but still that's more than 7.

Top Bottom