• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LUVn40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I hunted with my new TenPoint Stealth XLT crossbow last year and just love it. Being a “vintage” hunter I had developed some shoulder/back issues and the crossbow keeps me in the field enjoying my favorite activity. My question is this: what broadheads do you folks use in your crossbows? I’m using the RAGE 100 grain 1.75 cut made for crossbows. The one deer I shot last year was a dismal failure. I made a good shot having seen the arrow with it’s lighted knock enter the deer at a point that should have been a good double lung hit. She was almost perfectly broadside when I took the shot. I had a minimal blood trail starting out but found a pile of foamy blood about 40 yards from where the deer was standing upon impact, then another a few yards further on. Sadly, even after two days of searching, I never found that deer. My thinking is that the broadhead entered the deer, deflected back off a rib and I only caught one lung. The bolt was lying right next to the trail where the deer was standing when I shot. I had expected it to be much further past the deer if a good pass-through. Any ideas? I’m wondering if this was simply a fluke or if I might be better off with some other type of broadhead. Any advice would be appreciated.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My guess is that you only got one lung.

Im also guessing that the broadheads opened on launch giving you poor penetration. Merely a guess there as I have never shot Rages.

I am suspect of any broadheads company that advertises "crossbow broadheads". Most experienced crossbowers that I know just snicker at them as a lot are the same broadheads as their regular broadhead only repackaged.

For me - the two I would shoot would be -

Mechanical - NAP Spitfires . If your arrows have the brass inserts go for the 100 grains. Aluminum inserts go for the 125 grain broadheads. Front of center is very important on crossbow arrows...

Fixed - Slick Tricks. Grain choice again dependent on insert.

Other's mileage may vary.....

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    Check out broadheadtalk.com for other peoples likes/dislikes for the Rage. I'm using 2" Grim Reapers this year. I like the idea of 3 blades that create a hole that is less likely to close up if a deer lays down.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I have been hunting with a crossbow for years and have a 20 year old Horton hunter supreme I only use fixed broadheads as everything else opens in flight or upon pulling the trigger.I have not tried a rage because by then I gave up on anything other than fixed.

LUVn40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks to one and all for your thoughts on broadheads for crossbows. I've been hunting with a compound for over 30 years but am quite new to the crossbow so still have some things to work out, broadheads being the major factor right now. I've not tried shooting a fixed blade broadhead yet but will have to give that a try. I've been told they plane a bit more in flight but considering my luck last year I need options. What type of fixed blade would be best to try? Thanks again.

SNAGGLE TOOTH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Indy
    125 grain fixed 3 blade Thunderheads on 20" bolts have served me well. Most kills at 25-35 yards. Using a Ten Point the bolts have always gone clean through the deer. Aim for the exit hole and if you get lungs they drop in 75 yards. I recycle my gear and have used the same box of heads for several years. This year I have every intention to whack a deer with the same "lucky" bolt as last year. I am pragmatic about it and I don't bother trying to buy the newest model. If it works I don't try to fix it. Success breeds success

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Thanks to one and all for your thoughts on broadheads for crossbows. I've been hunting with a compound for over 30 years but am quite new to the crossbow so still have some things to work out, broadheads being the major factor right now. I've not tried shooting a fixed blade broadhead yet but will have to give that a try. I've been told they plane a bit more in flight but considering my luck last year I need options. What type of fixed blade would be best to try? Thanks again.

Slick Tricks. Grain choice again dependent on insert

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I shoot 20 inch bolts and 100 grain broadheads and have shot clear through out to 40 yards, hunt also with a bow but just like a bow ,what works and shoots best for you is what I use but the crossbow I only use fixed.

Top Bottom