• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    are you sure they're not black vultures?
    th

th

if not, i'm stumped without pics.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also - if it's anywhere near Kokomo - it's highly unlikely that they're black vultures.

They're a more southernly bird. Not super duper common in IN - generally around the counties that border the Ohio River across from KY.

I guess that this time of year - they could also be turkey...as opposed to turkey vultures. They love to roost in communities.

-J-

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    With all due respect are you sure that they are hawks? It seems rather unusual for there to be that many hawks together for an extended period of time.

Actually not that unusual...Especially this time of year...Known as a "kettle" of hawks when they are migrating..Vultures do the same thing and Red Tailed "hawks" are actually in the "buteo" (sic) or vulture family...With it being March you may be seeing some hawks migrating and if so the question will be moot before long...

Do Hawks Flock? | Animals - PawNation

I used to be into birding and spent alot of nerd time studying hawks....

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The only raptor that I've ever seen going after a dog was a Great Horned Owl and the dog was a small Pomeranian. This time of year, depending on where you are, you might be seeing migrating hawks moving through, but they're not gonna bother a dog, even a small one.

I also used to be a bit of a birding nerd; a vestige of my Wildlife Biologist days, before I learned that there wasn't any money in that and I gave it up and got a real job.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I used to be into birding and spent alot of nerd time studying hawks....

Don't feel too bad! Haha. One of my favorite classes in college was Ornithology. I even got my father into bird watching. There were only 2 of us in the class so those made for fun trips to Atterbury and Muscatatuck.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    We have a lot of Red Tail Hawks behind the house every year. Some year round. They do not bother our dogs at all, although they do fly over the house all the time.

I counted over 60 flying over the gravel pit one night while on break at work. They stay year round. Every night the fly over. Dozens of them. They nest on the walls of the pit, and they are everywhere. I think they are catching a air current from there, and they just awesome to watch.

Top Bottom