Question about letting another adult borrow a shotgun. opinion and laws.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I recently had a female friend (adult) of mine ask to borrow a shotgun to use with a Halloween costume. I explained to her that she needs to keep it slung on her shoulder the entire time. She doesn't drink, and has no record, and is a trustworthy person. She plans on using it at a private residence. I told her only if I could put a trigger lock on it. Is there any legal issues I should be worried about? Is this a terrible idea? Are you allowed to let someone borrow a shot gun without any paper work? any opinions, and facts on the law would be greatly appreciated. If I even hear one reason why its against the law, im scrapping the whole thing.
    thank you!

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I don't believe there are any laws preventing you from lending the gun to somebody who is otherwise legally allowed to have guns. She could, of course, break the law with it by pointing it at people or somesuch.

I would find it in bad taste to use a real gun in such a manner, even if unloaded and/or otherwise disabled (via a lock, or removal of firing pin or action). A toy gun would be far more appropriate.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Using a firearm as part of a costume doesn't seem like a good idea to me :twocents:

I suppose an airsoft shotgun would be acceptable.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Using a firearm as part of a costume doesn't seem like a good idea to me :twocents:

I suppose an airsoft shotgun would be acceptable.

Pretty much agree with all that ^.
    Personally, I wouldn't lend any of my firearms...unless it was due to a really compelling reason.
    But if the OP does, why not make it inoperable?

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    If you're worried about that aspect (and if you find out it's OK to lend it)...can't you just take out the trigger assembly?:dunno:

Yes, But the reason for the trigger lock is to make it look blatantly disabled. Good idea though.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Pretty much agree with all that ^.
    Personally, I wouldn't lend any of my firearms...unless it was due to a really compelling reason.
    But if the OP does, why not make it inoperable?
    If the OP wants to lend the shotgun, he could remove the firing pin. But, if the borrower gets tired of lugging a shotgun around and puts it down, it could disappear.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    I can't tell you how many alarms that set off in my head.

It would be less headaches to give her the $20 to buy a toy shotgun.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I don't believe there are any laws preventing you from lending the gun to somebody who is otherwise legally allowed to have guns. She could, of course, break the law with it by pointing it at people or somesuch.

I would find it in bad taste to use a real gun in such a manner, even if unloaded and/or otherwise disabled (via a lock, or removal of firing pin or action). A toy gun would be far more appropriate.

I agree with you on the bad taste thing.. but shes going for an authentic look, Id rather give her one that she cant use, than her get one from someone else that she(or someone else) could potentially operate. thank you for your honest reply.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Here's the cheapest airsoft shotgun I could find at Dick's
    TSD Tactical SD1187B Airsoft Replica Law Enforcement Shotgun - Dick's Sporting Goods
    p6059499_view1_p275w.jpg

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Sold. back to the safe it goes. If thats not real enough for her, then she might actually be shooting someone ;)
    I'm sure others would agree that you made a good decision. Be sure she knows not to paint the orange tip because it could cause some problems.

I did end up finding an Indiana statute that could apply if your friend broke the rules of firearm handling. This is for the sake of curiosity since you have made your decision.
    IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

It could be argued that with a trigger lock/removed firing pin that the firearm is disabled, but it may be a stretch under the Indiana definition of a firearm.
    IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm"
    Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.3-2008, SEC.254.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I'm sure others would agree that you made a good decision. Be sure she knows not to paint the orange tip because it could cause some problems.

I did end up finding an Indiana statute that could apply if your friend broke the rules of firearm handling. This is for the sake of curiosity since you have made your decision.

It could be argued that with a trigger lock/removed firing pin that the firearm is disabled, but it may be a stretch under the Indiana definition of a firearm.

I was aware of these laws, hence me telling her that she needed to keep it slung on her shoulder the entire time. But all is well, I think I made a good decision based on all of the opinions put forth. I really want to help, but its really just not worth the potential headache.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    She doesn't drink, and has no record, and is a trustworthy person.

As is my grandson, but even his level of maturity, and common sense at age 14 would prevent him from even considering asking me to loan him a firearm for any shooting reason, much less so he could take it to a party. I'd suggest that a reasonable adult should have at least a similar level of common sense.

WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    Is this a terrible idea?

[ed. ack- sorry, didn't see that you made the good decision to say no before I posted. Good call!]

Yes. It's a terrible idea. Sounds like the news headlines - 'woman takes gun to halloween party, 2 injured, 1 dead.'

Shotguns are for shooting things. I always tell my 6 year old, if you have to stop and wonder "Is this a dumb thing to do?" Then the answer is always yes, its a dumb thing to do.

Top Bottom