• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Whats up guys! I was looking through a magazine and came across Busse's Rattlehawk tomahawk and was wanting to know if I could get my Omnivore tomahawk scales done like the Busse. They said cnc machined scales. Any idea who could do that for me and how much it would cost? Thanks

My omnivore handle scales
    2012-11-29202646.jpg

The Rattlehawk
    2012-11-29202812.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    All you have to do is remove the old, grooved scales and install new material and shape it. The "CNC" part only denotes how THEY made those scales. An easy remove and recreate.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Crap! First pic is what you have! Lol! Even easier. Go grab a large half round file, remove the cordage, mark your groove placement, and go to town with the file!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yup. A round file and sand paper.

Done.

A vise will help keep things steady and still, too.

Busse just uses the CNC machine because they make lots of them.

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Also, something you'll find out as you work: When you use a rough abrasive to cut it up your grip will have exposed fibers, like the handle in the picture. Knife crafters will say that the rough finish is good grip and good when wet, which is true. The other big part of that they leave out is that it takes a bunch of work to get a glossy finish, such as you currently have on the hawk. It works like metal: as you go up grits you'll get that glossy finish (although it doesn't seem like it will ever happen when the fibers are exposed). One difference though, if you do go for a polished finish again: if you buff with compounds micarta will sometimes suck up the compound and make the surface of the micarta dirty.

Top Bottom