• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XxFatandLazyxX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    I bought a 91/30 a couple of months ago and i put a monte carlo stock on it and i havent fired it or cleaned it yet. but whenever i put a round in it the bolt wont close all the way. does anyone have an idea of why it does this. also i want to know if it is normal for 7.62.54r 203. grain sp brown bear ammo to make a sound when u shake it. thanks.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have a 91/30 and an M44, and both of them had to be completely tore down and I soaked the metal parts in Mineral Spirits for about six hours. Then I scrubbed the bejesus out of them to get the baked on crud out of the breach.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    The ammo will do just fine. I shoot either Sellier and Bellot (brass), Silver or Brown Bear(steel) ammo in mine. The Russian stuff is not very clean burning nor as accurate as the S&B. It is cheaper though. Winchester also loads a round for the Mosin and the cost is about the same as any other Winchester center fire rifle ammo.

XxFatandLazyxX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    ok thanks i wasnt sure because this is the first gun i bought but soon im getting a EAA Zastava PAP and im really exited.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    ok thanks i wasnt sure because this is the first gun i bought but soon im getting a EAA Zastava PAP and im really exited.
    Good gun the EAA Zastava. A guy I work with has one and he shoots the heck out of it. I shot it once and found that the heft really tamed the recoil well. It has a certain Com-Bloc toughness about it.:):

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    k sweet also a friend of mine is getting a arsenal sgl21 and he wants to know how good of a gun it is.

I like mine a lot ...a very fun gun to shoot, and I love the sound of an AK! :D Then again, that's probably true about a lot of AK's.

FWIW, my next rifle will likely be a Mosin. Shot one this past weekend and I'm hooked!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    tear rifle down, and clean, clean, clean. Lots of built up gunk in it will hinder the action and the breech of the rifle.

I've heard this a lot and I agree. However, I just bought a Mosin and wiped it down and all the gunk came right off. I will be cleaning the barrel tonight, but is it really necessary to tear the rifle down and soak it?

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I've heard this a lot and I agree. However, I just bought a Mosin and wiped it down and all the gunk came right off. I will be cleaning the barrel tonight, but is it really necessary to tear the rifle down and soak it?

I think it depends.

I'm neck deep into refinishing the first of the two Mosins I just bought.

At tear-down, this first rifle wasn't caked with cosmo on the inside, so I didn't need to soak it in solvent.

I brushed and wiped down the steel parts with paint thinner, and punched the bore a few times. That was it. Done.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Mine just had a little goo on it. I just wiped it all down and cleaned it as I would any normal gun and shot 70 rounds through it. No issues. I would have shot more but that's all I took that day.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

I've had new ones that just had a light coat of oil on them and I've also got ones that looked like they were more cosmolene than rifle. So, yeah, it would depend. Also, taking it apart, at least the barreled receiver out of the stock, gives a person to check for hidden problems.

Top Bottom