• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AnnieO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I've been thinking about various scenarios and how to prepare. One possibility is if my house is destroyed and I can't get to my emergency suppplies. I have a small building about a mile away to store things- but there is no heat or air conditioning. What should I keep there? What kind of food or water storage would be safe?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The first problem in a building which is not regularly occupied is that others may decide they need your things worse than you do. They may do so after the SHTF or after dinner tomorrow night. For water storage, perhaps a well would be the best 'storage' device. As for food and 'other' supplies, it depends on how well the building maintains internal temperature. Most supplies like cool, dry storage. Another thing to consider (with which I am gearing up to experiment) is an ongoing fresh supply of food. The concept of aquaponics seems to have much merit in that it produces fish and vegetables in a closed cycle requiring the feeding of the fish as the only input. Back to your question as asked, I would recommend keeping whatever is viable within the temperature and humidity the building hosts and meets a proper balance of intruder-proofing versus what you can accept as a sustainable loss. Another thing to consider is getting to it in the event of a general emergency. If you are so far out in the country we could find your house by following the pipeline you use to pipe in your sunlight you will have a far more viable situation than say a mile of separation in Indianapolis, Ft.Wayne, or South Bend in which a mile away might as well be in Outer Mongolia, particularly in the event of riots.

It is a question the answer for which is based on relative and conditional considerations rather than a definitive 'correct' answer. In the end, it comes down to what you are willing to risk and the potential benefits you believe you can gain. As for the water, you may want to start here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TDmxbbvQQo[/ame]

How to Drill Your Own Water Well

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom