• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Hey all, I didnt really own anything other than a pair of Mossberg 500s before 2004 when the assault weapons ban was lifted, so I am rather unfamiliar with what all that will entail. Since I have several high capacity pistols, rifles, and shotguns now, if Obama reinstates the assault weapons ban, does that mean that the possession of these firearms will become illegal, or just the sale of them? So basically, am I grandfathered in? Also, will it still potentially be legal to shoot them at public gun ranges? Thanks in advance for the info!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Nearly all previous laws have been for new guns. In other words, you'd probably be grandfathered in. That's why people have been buying so many guns in the last four years.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    We can't possibly explain the details of something that hasn't even been presented yet.

This /\ /\ /\

Obama-messiah now has carte-blanche to write what ever his wonderful heart desires. Any rifle that fires a round propelled by an explosive charge is now considered an "assault weapon". Name your poison, we are saddled with a president who believes working for a living is evil, and that big government is the answer, and if congress won't go along with him, there are other ways.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Join the NRA and you wont see any ban.
    If the 80 million gun owners of America were NRA members, and not just 3 million or so, you wouldn't see any politician trying to ban any kind of guns.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This /\ /\ /\

Obama-messiah now has carte-blanche to write what ever his wonderful heart desires. Any rifle that fires a round propelled by an explosive charge is now considered an "assault weapon". Name your poison, we are saddled with a president who believes working for a living is evil, and that big government is the answer, and if congress won't go along with him, there are other ways.

The HOUSE would have to pass this legislation and that WON'T happen. Even the SENATE is opposed to an assault weapons ban.

Now I would not be surprised to see the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT try to pull some sort import restrictions on some of the imported rifles/shotguns, but I don't see a majority of politicians that are willing to support an AWB.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The HOUSE would have to pass this legislation and that WON'T happen. Even the SENATE is opposed to an assault weapons ban.

Now I would not be surprised to see the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT try to pull some sort import restrictions on some of the imported rifles/shotguns, but I don't see a majority of politicians that are willing to support an AWB.

:+1:

Not to mention that the Obama administration has to focus on the economy and health care before they even waste time trying to pass gun laws that most politicians wont support anyway. :dunno:

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Join the NRA and you wont see any ban.
    If the 80 million gun owners of America were NRA members, and not just 3 million or so, you wouldn't see any politician trying to ban any kind of guns.

What are you thinking Sylvain? You can't get 77 million or so to pay 35 bucks if Obama don't give it ($35) to them!!! That's cigarette and booze money brother!!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We can't possibly explain the details of something that hasn't even been presented yet.
    I see you are new to INGO. Welcome to INGO.

No, all kidding aside, ATM is right. Let's not run around the conference room table on fire until we see a threat.

If you are concerned enough to ask, then join a gun rights organization or three and send in extra money.

exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I am not too terribly concerned that he will actually be able to pass an AWB, but I was just asking about the details regarding the previous one assuming that a new one would be rather similar.
    @Sylvain, thanks for the reply, I completely agree with you about gun owners joining the NRA to prevent this, which is why I am already a lifetime NRA member. Any other good organizations that you know of that can pull a lot of pro gun weight politically?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I am not too terribly concerned that he will actually be able to pass an AWB, but I was just asking about the details regarding the previous one assuming that a new one would be rather similar.
    @Sylvain, thanks for the reply, I completely agree with you about gun owners joining the NRA to prevent this, which is why I am already a lifetime NRA member. Any other good organizations that you know of that can pull a lot of pro gun weight politically?

GOA :dunno:

Gun Owners of America - Gun Owners Of America

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    realistically, i don't see an AWB coming down the pipeline soon (if at all). more than likely a mag cap ban (the campus/movie theater shooters) is more likely.

but my crystal ball has been known to error, thus subject to speculation only at this time.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    As I wrote above, I don't see an AWB coming.

But there are 3 words that I do fear: SUPREME COURT NOMINATIONS

Over the course of the next 4 years there will probably 2, and perhaps 3, Supreme Court Justices that will likely retire and need to be replaced.

I suspect that the rash of gun court cases that are in the works by pro-gun groups will COME TO A SCREECHING HALT by these groups in an effort to keep them from progressing up to the SCOTUS.

Sorry im out of rep. :patriot:
    Got it for you!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Now children, remember how government works. Congress still has to worry about being reelected, so they won't be interested in touching any gun related legislation with a 10 foot pole. The President's Executive Authority is not nearly broad enough to do any harm. Supreme Court nominees could be harmful for us in 10+ years, and they would obviously be detrimental to striking down anything NFA related, but other than that, we don't really have any pending cases that need attention right now. Wait it out, don't do anything crazy.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    There is already executive order precedent for gun import regulation. Executive Order 11432 under LBJ, "Control of Arms Imports"

Top Bottom