• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I would definitely avoid using any type of armor piercing round, because it will be hard to tell when you hit the target.
    Beyond that, I would not get any closer then 10 feet or so when shooting because of the possibility of some small fragments coming back at you. Of course if you are using armor piercing, this might reduce the chance of loose fragments coming back at you.
    Insert purple where necessary.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I agree with contacting and supporting Bobcat. I'm am very happy with mine. I'd also recommend quite a bit further than 10 feet. But Bobcat can give you all the details you need for rifle and pistol distances. I've been hit with frag when plates were 14 yards out and it is uncomfortable. Don't forget eye pro.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bobcat will also tell you that the plates need to be flat. We had some cheap steel targets at our private range, and over time they warped and became more "cup" shaped. This can cause enhanced risk of blow-back. It's also not a bad idea to angle them down if it's a large plate, as this will direct any debris into the ground.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If it's a rigid plate, and anchored, you do not want to shoot ball or jacketed ammo at close range.

Swinging plates or something angled down to the ground are much safer to shoot at.

The 10 foot idea would be MINIMUM I'd say, only if you were shooting soft lead.
    ANY other bullet should need much more distance.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Contact Bobcat as noted above and give him an idea of what types of guns/ammo you will likely use. The distance will be different depending on what you are shooting.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    USPSA/IPSC has 7 yards as the Minimum distance from steel targets. I would recommend at leas that as well for handgun rounds. Rifles I wouldn't recommend anything closer tan 50 yards UNLESS you are using frangible ammunition.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I have a friend who to this day is carrying a fragment in his arm. He was standing behind and to the side of the shooter who was shooting a .40 handgun at tilted AR500 steel at 10 yards. We no longer shoot any steel at less than ~17 yards.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I own a few of the Bobcat Steel targets and have them set up on my range on garden hooks. Here is the info I got on what you can shoot and at what distances:

10 yards minimum: .22lr and handgun calibers (9mm, .40, .45, .357)
    100 yards minimum: All rifle calibers (.223, 30-30, 30-06, .308, etc)

I have been using this criteria to shoot my targets for the past year and I have not had any issues.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Cowboy Action is also usually using only mild steel targets, or at least commonly in my findings, so that plays a large role in your results as well.

hochwald

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    South Bend
    We've shot our targets with a 50 at 30yds....not that i'd recommend it, but we've done it.
    That video has so many unanswered questions that I don't even know what to say about it, lol.

You're right, there is not much to be learned from it other than bad stuff sometimes happens, but it is fascinating hearing that whistling sound just before the shooter is hit.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    With BMG you may want (way) more than 50 yds

Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet - YouTube

Not to change topic but, I posted a reply to this same guy on another thread. My belief on this particular guy (I have 27 years experience as an instructor and have been qualified on the M2 and Barrett M 107) In my years as an instructor I have seen more cases of debris getting dislodged from berms from the impact of rifle rounds and striking shooters than anything else. Factor in a 50 BMG round has 12,000 lbs of muzzle energy compared to 3,000 for a 30 06 or similar. That higher energy causes the round to deflect forward not reverse. Just way too much energy. Yes you could get some splash back from a steel plate but unless you were right on it (within 25 yards for a rifle) you would be safe. I believe the impact of the guys 50 cal had enough energy (he wasn't that far from it) is what was propelled back. What I asked is I would like to see a picture (if it exists) of this guys hearing protection. That could help prove or disprove what actually hit him. An example on the debris is when we have 25 shooters running M 16's/M 4's from the 50 and 100 yard line upon checking the targets there are countless bullets (9mm and 5.56 and 308) that are covering the 3 and 7 yard line on the concrete that were not there before the M16/M 4 course was fired. All due to the impact of the 5.56 rounds. If we shot 50 cals those same projectiles would be a lot farther back because of the higher energy of the 50.

Another basis for that conclusion is there is a long enough pause (he isn't that far away for bullet flight time to be a factor) before the item strikes him.

JMHO

Last edited:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    This is part of what Action Target says http://www.actiontarget.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/pt_Steel_Target_Resource_Guide.pdf

STEEL TARGET SAFETY RULES

1. Always obey the Firearms Safety Rules listed above.

2. Always wear hearing protection and wrap-around shatter resistant eye protection

3. Always stand at least 10 yards from the target when using handgun calibers.

4. Always stand at least 100 yards from the target when using shotgun slugs.

5. Always stand at least 100 yards from the target when using rifle calibers like .223 and .308.

6. Never use rifle calibers on handgun rated targets.

7. Never use ammunition that exceeds 3,000 feet per second at the muzzle.

8. Never use ammunition that travels below 750 feet per second.

9. Never shoot BB’s, steel shot, or air gun pellets at steel targets.

10. Never use more powerful ammunition than the target is rated for. (Green tip, armor piercing, etc.)

11. Never shoot on steel that is cratered, pitted, or damaged in any way.

12. Hard ground surfaces under the target should be covered with plywood or boxed pea gravel.

13. Targets should be placed with a 3 foot lateral and deep offset from the adjacent target.

14. If shooting multiple targets, angle of engagement should not exceed 20 degrees.

Top Bottom