• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Deferral for a moving violation is a waste of money if you don't have any current points.

If it prevents any changes to my insurance, I'll gladly pay the extra fee. the dropping of the points is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't realize the State had the deferral program. Of course I've never gotten a ticket from the ISP so it's never been an issue for me. Good to know

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Interesting... can you elaborate why they are useless?

Deferrals are great. It's basically extortion. "Pay us extra money or we'll tell your insurance company that you're a bad driver! Muhahaha!"
    In some cases it's not extra money, it's actually cheaper. I think it depends on how much the fine is but everything I've seen on the deferral program indicates it's a fixed fee to enter the program, so for tickets with higher fines it can actually be cheaper.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I was but my small car got caught in the gravitational vortex of the larger vehicle creating a tracking-beam effect thus causing an uncontrollable increase in velocity that could not be reversed on my part. I tried to emphasis that to the officer but he just didn't seem to understand. :dunno:

wont work indiana state police have 3 jobs
    1 protect the govenor
    2 write speeding tickets
    3 collect money for gun permits (that are going away!... lol)

I would have given you a warning with that justification.

frank if you are a state trooper (and not a local pd) you need a refresher course in state police duties...please see my above remark:lol2:
    :lol2:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've had multiple tickets since I started driving. 2 points on, 2 points drop, 2 on, 2 drop..... insurance never cared. Get 6 points, then they pay attention.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Interesting... can you elaborate why they are useless?

Because when I see a car that I visually estimate to be speeding, I then click-on my radar antenna and verify it's actual speed. Takes a fraction of a second and is not possible for you to react to the warning your fuzz-buster emits in that fraction of a second. Constant-on radar is about the only thing a fuzz-buster will protect you from.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've had multiple tickets since I started driving. 2 points on, 2 points drop, 2 on, 2 drop..... insurance never cared. Get 6 points, then they pay attention.

Put 3 more people on the policy and this (differall) is a blessing. Especially when 2 are teen age drivers.
    I have found when I deferred one I watched my self for at least the default period.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Because when I see a car that I visually estimate to be speeding, I then click-on my radar antenna and verify it's actual speed. Takes a fraction of a second and is not possible for you to react to the warning your fuzz-buster emits in that fraction of a second. Constant-on radar is about the only thing a fuzz-buster will protect you from.
    Not to mention LIDAR use is gaining popularity.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Funny, or not so, story about fuzz busters. I had a truck with one when I was younger. The truck was registered to my parents, insurance was cheaper that way. It had regular car plates on it so I could drive on LSD in Chicago (that sounds funny). They were issued by IL for the Ford Ranger, and I drove around with them for years. I even had multiple tickets in it prior to this. I had some kind of noise or it was riding funny (details). I was picking up my Dad from his work for some reason, and asked if he would drive it home to check it out. It was raining out. Mind you, my Dad is the slowest driver ever. We pass a statie on the interstate and he lights us up. Busted for improper (state issued) plates. My Dad had to go to court too. I am convinced he was singled out, and shown no mercy due to my fuzz buster mounted on the windshield. I promptly got rid of that thing, and actually got out of some tickets afterward.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I see it as a small fee for a huge break.

Yes, it is often financially expedient to give in to extortionists. But it's still extortion.

In some cases it's not extra money, it's actually cheaper. I think it depends on how much the fine is but everything I've seen on the deferral program indicates it's a fixed fee to enter the program, so for tickets with higher fines it can actually be cheaper.

Interesting. I've not ever seen one that wasn't substantially more than the ticket + court costs.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thank the officers that understand that speed limits are suggestions. :yesway:
    In today's day and age of distracted and self-centered atrocious drivers, one would think that ticketing speeders would be a low priority?

Yes, it is often financially expedient to give in to extortionists. But it's still extortion...
    True. I wish more gov't agencies would understand the profitability of known, willingly paid, extortion.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I thank the officers that understand that speed limits are suggestions. :yesway:
    In today's day and age of distracted and self-centered atrocious drivers, one would think that ticketing speeders would be a low priority?

True. I wish more gov't agencies would understand the profitability of known, willingly paid, extortion.

We all must give him some room on this. If it makes him smile......let it go.....:)

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010

what if... You split second check someone a half mile in front of the car using a radar. Detecttor maybe then they will get a heads up? Idk.. I dont use a radar. I just drive the speed limit.

although my cousin has a funny saying... 9 your fine , 10 your mine. Wonder how true that is..

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I suppose it would serve as a warning to someone with a detector, but then again so do my blinky lights when I stop the original speeder.

When I work details where I have to write tickets, for speeding I usually give 15-20 over the limit before I stop someone. I don't feel bad writing a ticket for 20 over on city streets.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    A good quality detector will give a heads-up if radar is 'flashing' cars ahead of you. Now that we have abandoned the 55 mph limit on country expressways, I tend to find myself within 5 of the posted limit anyway. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Top Bottom