• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Were the citizens prevented from owning cannons? I'm in a debate once again with an antigun person, and she claims that when we were fighting the British we did not allow our citizens to possess cannons. This just doesnt seem at all correct.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Were the citizens prevented from owning cannons? I'm in a debate once again with an antigun person, and she claims that when we were fighting the British we did not allow our citizens to possess cannons. This just doesnt seem at all correct.

Cannons were EXPENSIVE and in short supply. There were no laws about owning a cannon and if a civilian had one, it would have been put into use. Have them show some proof of their claim.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    When we were fighting the Brits the 2nd Amendment hadn't been penned. We had to win that war before we wrote our Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

You can use this fact to bludgeon the idiot at your own discretion.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Canons were mainly ship items due to size and weight. Ships were privately owned and, by default, so were the canons.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I'm pretty sure that until the NFA there were no restrictions on what private citizens could and could not own. So whatever the argument is, it's a failure.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    When we were fighting the Brits the 2nd Amendment hadn't been penned. We had to win that war before we wrote our Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

You can use this fact to bludgeon the idiot at your own discretion.

+1. I always hear the argument "The 2nd A was for when we were fighting the british and it was for the militia so that they could fight.". For some reason, I never am able to pull out the fact that our Constitution was wrote after we became free. :patriot:

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    This goes against everything everyone else has said.....

Well . . . I guess you can read the extensively cited opinion in the link (which is the judicial opinion that establishes for the first time that the 2nd Amendment is an individual, rather than collective right) authored by Justice Scalia (not only a Supreme Court justice, but one of the most knowledgeable legal historians of our time), or you can rely on the hunches of a bunch of guys on the internet.

Up to you, and no skin off my nose either way.

Top Bottom