• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    "Form 4" is the ATF form used when a registered item is transferred, such as a silencer, SBR, machine gun, etc. from an individual or dealer to an individual. This is the form used when you buy a NFA item from someone else, as opposed to making and registering something. A Form 4 transfer does not require any engraving since the item has already been engraved with the manufacturers information."

If it's on the internet, it must be true...

I ordered a compressor from Spikes, does this mean that I don't have to get it engraved?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Most SBRs are done on Form 1s where you are the one building/making the SBR. If it comes from the factory as an SBR, then it would be on a Form 4 because you're transferring an already built SBR. The engraving on a Form 1 is because you become the manufacturer and have to have that info on it.

So, no engraving because Spike's would be the one that made the SBR.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    That's good news, because I was not happy about the thought of engraving my SBR. That brings another question, why don't more manufacturers make and sell SBRs? I never liked the idea of engraving, so I wouldn't mind paying extra for one already built.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That's good news, because I was not happy about the thought of engraving my SBR. That brings another question, why don't more manufacturers make and sell SBRs? I never liked the idea of engraving, so I wouldn't mind paying extra for one already built.

They don't want the extra costs involved with manufacturing NFA items....nor the wait times involved while the transfer process happens.

-J-

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    nor the wait times involved while the transfer process happens.

-J-

I'm sure the wait times is most of it. Because they'll have to sit on that inventory until the approved Forms come back that says they can ship to a dealer. There are a some manufacturers that make factory SBRs though. I know Noveske and LMT make them.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    ^ This. Lots of waiting. You can only sell them to certain dealers (SOT's, unless they want to pay tax for the transfer) and there's a more limited market. Dealers would sit on them a long time too, as not as many people want to wait 9 months for a transfer. I Especially in the AR platform, it's easier for someone just to make it themselves, plus they have something to play with in the meantime. I could see more of a market for items that are harder/more expensive to convert, like SCAR's or something.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The NFA is a POS. Engraving is infringement. Why is an SBR considered more dangerous than a carbine anyways? It isn't. There is no justification for preventing is from having shorter, shoulder fired weapons. If I have a LTCH, then it shouldn't matter one bit if I have a SBR or pistol with a stock, or anything in between. Pure infringement.

:soapbox:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    The NFA is a POS. Engraving is infringement. Why is an SBR considered more dangerous than a carbine anyways? It isn't. There is no justification for preventing is from having shorter, shoulder fired weapons. If I have a LTCH, then it shouldn't matter one bit if I have a SBR or pistol with a stock, or anything in between. Pure infringement.

:soapbox:
    :+1:

blownz28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Greensburg
    I can agree on the infringement, and a lot of stupidity. I'm going to send in my money and paperwork to sbr my bm. Maybe get it in 2015. Oh lucky me.

Just to think, it could/should only take a phone call.

Top Bottom