• ...and so much more!
  • Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Update for anyone interested and maybe a bit of advice,
    Local PD has recovered my handgun, but the thief tried to file the serial numbers off the slide and under the rail. Police have to sent to state lab because of the missing numbers. I know that might make it where i can get it back. Anyone have any experience with this? thanks in advance
    When my grandfather died, he left behind an old revolver with the serial obliterated. I contacted and took it to the ATF with the original serial number that I was able to find under the action plate. They took it, checked to see if it was stolen, then filed for a new serial. Took a few months to get the new serial, so they let me take it back home and have it sit in the safe.

Once the new serial came in an I picked it up, I sent the revolver and paper work to a smith who's done this sort of work for re-legalized guns. The gun will have to have 2 serials engraved. The original needs to be added, and the 10-13digit (stupidly long) ATF approved serial needs to be added. After the smith completes the work, he holds onto it for an ATF agent to come over and check it. Once that's done, you can pick up your gun.

Cost me $35 and 4 months when all is said and done.

Now your gun was in a slightly different situation. No legal advice, but something to consider if you come across a similar situation. Ask if you can get your gun back. Talk to your local ATF about the situation and see if they can do anything. The worst thing they can do is flat out say no. If any thing, you can learn a bit about how system works.

KrisMT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Vincennes
    Spyco, that sounds like a good starting point, thank you

PGRChaplain, I kept it locked in its box, in my desk drawer when I wasn't carrying it, was the only firearm not in the safe. It was my girlfriends son that stole it, we were giving him a second chance, thought he was turning things around. He stabbed us in the back. Learned my lesson, proper pistol box is enroute.

KrisMT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Vincennes
    Holy Thread Resurrection Batman... :laugh:

But seriously, I received great news from local PD today. They received my handgun back from the ISP lab. I will be able to pick it up after they found out what the prosecutor needs concerning it. The lab was able to make the serial numbers legible and test fired it. I haven't seen it yet, but the slide will need refinished. Anyone have any suggestions? I am in the Vincennes area.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

But seriously, I received great news from local PD today. They received my handgun back from the ISP lab. I will be able to pick it up after they found out what the prosecutor needs concerning it. The lab was able to make the serial numbers legible and test fired it. I haven't seen it yet, but the slide will need refinished. Anyone have any suggestions? I am in the Vincennes area.

Contact racr28, he has not posted in a while, but he graduated from gunsmith school, he is in Vincennes .....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

If the s/n is tampered with I would consider asking the manufacturer if they'd be of any help. Possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number is a felony, even if you didn't tamper with it yourself. If "legible" means "with a microscope" or something along those lines it could be an issue.

KrisMT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Vincennes
    SSGSAD thank you, will send him a PM once I know more

BehindBlueI's it is an XDs, from what the police told me, the number on the slide was trashed, but the one under the rail was only scratched a little. I have looked a bit into what would be required, just need to wait to see the extent of the damage. From what i have read one of the tests the lab did was to put a bit of acid on the damaged number and since the metal would be compressed from the stamping it should "eat" the surrounding area faster making the number legible. Again, not sure of this, hopefully will know more in a few days

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    You will probably still need an ATF approved serial number. Even if the original serial number is made legible from acid etching.

Top Bottom