• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Are there any coyote hunters in or near Fort Wayne?

I am thinking about picking up the sport/hobby but I have no idea where to start. I would like to tag along with someone on a hunt if you wouldn't mind teaching me. Not even sure you can hunt in this area.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I used to do alot of coyote hunting for a friends grandfather on a rather large farm. When he passed on I stopped hunting his property. It was alot of fun and quite a challenge bringing them in. Its been more than 10 years ago & I miss it, but I hope you find someone to show you the ropes & hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    You can use about any gun most popular are .223, 22-250, .243 and those types of HPR where you can cover a lot of ground but I've known of guys that used .22 rim fire as well (just call them in very close!) and of course 12 gage w/ #4 buck for the tight brushy spots.

Indiana is full of them and lots of land owners not really enjoying them around so knock on some doors and introduce yourself.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Sweet!!! That gives me a reason to buy a AR15. Other than it looks cool.

I have been asking people at work also and I will ask around church this weekend. I have to know some one that hunts or would be willing to let me hunt.

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    Im about 40 min. south of you in Portland. i do a lot of coyote killin around here. they're everywhere around here. find a local hog or chicken farm and see if you can sit around their "dead pile" or compost heap. try to learn what they do and what time they do it, so you can ambush them. thats what i do, i kill around 8 to 10 a week.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Saw one crossing IN37 the other day while driving. It just went into the woods next to the highway. It was just outside of Bloomington.

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    make your own dead pile in the middle of the field with thier bodies, plus other critters you take down. theyre not picky theyll eat whatever they can scrounge up.:ar15:good luck.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'd get a .223, ammo is cheaper than the other calibers and it is plenty capable.

I thought about the AR but the entry price is a lot higher. The ammo I have seen is $105 for 7.62x39 500 rounds and $130 for.223 500 rounds. So pretty close but AK a bit cheaper and I don't worry about firing cheap ammo on the AK

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    After you try to skin one you will change your mind about keeping pelts.

Thats just my guess.

If you want access to land offer to help maintain it rather than just hunt it. What do you hunt now? Are you good at it, safe?

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    After you try to skin one you will change your mind about keeping pelts.

Thats just my guess.

If you want access to land offer to help maintain it rather than just hunt it. What do you hunt now? Are you good at it, safe?

+1:yesway:

If you do decide to do anything with the pelts, I'd recommend letting a taxidermist mess with them. They have to tan the hides anyway, let them get messy and nasty. It's bad enough picking the mangy dead critters off the ground, after you've ended their life. I don't even let my dog near them.:rolleyes:

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I thought about the AR but the entry price is a lot higher. The ammo I have seen is $105 for 7.62x39 500 rounds and $130 for.223 500 rounds. So pretty close but AK a bit cheaper and I don't worry about firing cheap ammo on the AK

I use a Ruger MK77 MKII in 223, and it's perfect. I put a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 BDC with a NIKON Anti Reflective Device on the scope and it's perfect. I did spend the money and put a Boyds thumbhole stock on it, and it's a better fit.

I think 223 is the best all around gun for coyotes. On a good hit, they don't walk away. In fact, most times, they're dead before they hit the ground.:D

Top Bottom