• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mens Rea

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Westfield, Indiana
    OK I have a question for those currently or formerly serving in the Military Reserves and/or National Guard members...

I am about to sign my papers to join the Army National Guard; I'll be attending basic/AIT and then I'll be going to OCS at some point after that. The problem is, I'm currently in a hiring process for a small town police department with a pretty decent chance of getting hired, I should find out within this next month hopefully (they are waiting on two guys to quit that were hired at other PDs).

If the PD does hire me, and I tell them that I will need to go to basic/ait training sometime within the next year, are they required to keep me on or can they let me go? The only thing that worries me is this is a small department and I know it's a burden on a small PD to be short handed...

I'm really worried I'm going to blow my chances at a police job when I tell them that I have joined the Military and will have to attending training as well as the academy in the next year.

Any insight would be great from you military guys, thanks a lot a happy Memorial Day!

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    i know the marines like to snooker guys with promises of ocs after enlisted bootcamp, then deny them selection for ocs after they have signed a contract to be an enlisted rifleman- thus, the corps has a new and disgruntled rifleman. go directly to ocs if that is your dream. don't let a recruiter shaft you out of what you want just so he can make his quota for the month.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Generally speaking LE is supportive of Military obligations but not too fond of surprises. I would recommend speaking with the Chief of the agency you are trying to get hired by. Tell him what you are planning to do and ask for his input or recommendations before you move forward.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    i know the marines like to snooker guys with promises of ocs after enlisted bootcamp, then deny them selection for ocs after they have signed a contract to be an enlisted rifleman- thus, the corps has a new and disgruntled rifleman. go directly to ocs if that is your dream. don't let a recruiter shaft you out of what you want just so he can make his quota for the month.

Recruiters lie?

I am shocked!

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Recruiters lie?

I am shocked!

Wait? When did that start happening? I want to say 1636.. somewhere around Dec 13th.

*Before this raises questions without answers for a few of you the oldest component of the military is the National Guard.*

PS.. Oh ya and before I go I want to say Nasty Girls shot like hot garbage
    :ar15:
    Love,
    Dave
    5 years Active Infantry.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Look up ESGR, it's a support organization for Guard/Reserve Soldiers that have problems with employers.

Also, as someone said above, you should let them know now what your plans are in the military. There are different OCS programs that you can do to work around your civilian job as well, so that's not much of a problem.

What MOS are you going to choose? AIT times can vary greatly and knowing how long you would be gone for training can help.

We has some good units in the state, so find one of them if you can. Again that's MOS dependent.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I've been in the INNG for 5 years and work for them on the civilian side as well.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Yea...because "soldiers" always get proper warning. I agree it's not like that in this case but the military has never really been know to always give proper notice....just sayin.

Mens Rea

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Westfield, Indiana
    Look up ESGR, it's a support organization for Guard/Reserve Soldiers that have problems with employers.

Also, as someone said above, you should let them know now what your plans are in the military. There are different OCS programs that you can do to work around your civilian job as well, so that's not much of a problem.

What MOS are you going to choose? AIT times can vary greatly and knowing how long you would be gone for training can help.

We has some good units in the state, so find one of them if you can. Again that's MOS dependent.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I've been in the INNG for 5 years and work for them on the civilian side as well.

Yeah that is how I am kinda feeling..that I need to let them know. I'm worried about them deciding "unofficially" of course to not hire me knowing I am going to be gone a lot; but at the same time I guess I really wouldn't want to work for a dept. that wasn't supportive of the military as well.

I am not for sure what MOS I'm going to choose, I'm meeting again with my recruiter tomorrow so I can ask him some more questions because I am still kind of confused on that. I know I have to choose an MOS to go through AIT with, but I guess once I finish OCS and am commissioned I don't really have an MOS anymore I am put in a certain field and the Army kind of puts me where they need me.

Is that how you understand it or do you have any experience with officers and OCS? Also I assume I need to choose an MOS that I can drill sort of close to where I live correct? I really want to do military intelligence but we'll see. If not possibly infantry.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Yea...because "soldiers" always get proper warning. I agree it's not like that in this case but the military has never really been know to always give proper notice....just sayin.

Proper as in as soon as they hear it they tell their employer.

Last edited:

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Yeah that is how I am kinda feeling..that I need to let them know. I'm worried about them deciding "unofficially" of course to not hire me knowing I am going to be gone a lot; but at the same time I guess I really wouldn't want to work for a dept. that wasn't supportive of the military as well.

I am not for sure what MOS I'm going to choose, I'm meeting again with my recruiter tomorrow so I can ask him some more questions because I am still kind of confused on that. I know I have to choose an MOS to go through AIT with, but I guess once I finish OCS and am commissioned I don't really have an MOS anymore I am put in a certain field and the Army kind of puts me where they need me.

Is that how you understand it or do you have any experience with officers and OCS? Also I assume I need to choose an MOS that I can drill sort of close to where I live correct? I really want to do military intelligence but we'll see. If not possibly infantry.

Infantry would be good to go through. The AIT is 5 weeks long (short) and you learn your basic battle drills and skills.

In OCS you will submit your choices for what branch you would like to commission into, and they will look over your performance at OCS and what slots are available to determine what you will get. MI and Infantry are the two hardest to get into, in that order.

How much college do you have? Also, who's your recruiter if you don't mind sharing?

Mens Rea

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Westfield, Indiana
    Infantry would be good to go through. The AIT is 5 weeks long (short) and you learn your basic battle drills and skills.

In OCS you will submit your choices for what branch you would like to commission into, and they will look over your performance at OCS and what slots are available to determine what you will get. MI and Infantry are the two hardest to get into, in that order.

How much college do you have? Also, who's your recruiter if you don't mind sharing?

Figures; seems like everything I like/want to do is always the hardest! LoL

I currently have 90 credit hours at Indiana State in Criminology (although I have taken courses studying the Middle East, Geography of ME, and Psychology of Terrorism). I only have two semesters left for my BS, and I currently have a 3.81 cumulative GPA.

My recruiter is Sgt. Adam "Troy" Bachelor from the Brazil, IN armory (138th Quartermaster).

Mens Rea

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Westfield, Indiana
    Oh and I have also talked to SFC Phillip Jacks on the phone, but he said it would easier and more convenient for me to go though my local recruiter; which was fine because I know Troy from high school and our previous civilian jobs.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Jacks is a good guy, I deployed with him. He's up where I am location wise. your 90 credit hours will only be an issue for the Federal OCS program as they prefer individuals that you already have your degree right now, but the two state OCS programs will be good with where you are at. To move higher though it will be better that you finish out school.

Honestly if you stay Guard the MI and Infantry positions shouldn't be hard to get into...as long as the slots are available. Active Duty spots are much more competitive.

Mens Rea

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Westfield, Indiana
    That's good because I really want to do the accelerated program so I can get it all done and over with. And I definitely plan on finishing school; I'm just impatient and really want to start serving my country!

What is your mos if you don't mind to say.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Short answer, since you have not been hired yet, no they are not required to hold your job. If you were hired, then went to Basic/AIT/whatever then yes, they would be required to hold it. Someone already said ESGR which is the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, google it and do some reading. My advice would be to delay enlistment until you have been hired. Then you have some legal stance. *I am not a lawyer so take that for what it is worth*

What type of OCS are you thinking about doing? As an officer you still have an MOS, it is just broader in scope and usually covers a range of enlisted MOSs. Also, slots for all the cool jobs are really tight right now so you might not get MI or Infantry. It seems like you are pretty early in the process. Have you been to MEPS yet? If you have any other questions or want to talk more in detail PM me and I can give you my #. Good luck!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you havent signed yet, finish the proccess w/ the PD then join the guard. all basis's will be covered, and you will have a good job. after you have 1 year on the PD then talk your first line supervisor about joining the guard. i think you will find they will be supportive.

indyg19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Like most have said, they are pretty much required to hold your job for you. How much they unofficially hold it against you will vary by employer.
    I did the accelerated OCS program and am very glad I did. The 8 weeks were brutal, but they were over quick.
    You might also look into an 09S enlistment where you go straight to OCS and skip AIT. This doesn't get you some of the tuition reimbursement, but if you get a MI MOS, you will be spending 4-6 months in AIT just to throw it out the window and commission.
    I am branched MI, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Top Bottom