• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    On another forum, the topic of "Support the Troops" came up and apparently Michael Moore published an article talking about how when people say that they don't really mean it suggesting it's just words.

The thread turned to what other people do to say thanks for someone's service.

My wife and I typically will pick up the tab for any serviceman/woman we see while traveling thru an airport if we stop for a bit to eat - so, if we're at Chili's in an airport and see a two servicemen who appear to be either coming or going, we tell our waitress we would like to pick up their tab but we don't want them to know who did it - just a few thankful American citizens.

Would current military be offended by this act? A few posters, who have family members in the military, suggested that none of us should ever thank a soldier because they are offended by the thank you and they just want to be left alone.

I just want to make sure I'm not doing something which would really offend the military, and if I'm doing something wrong, I will cease immediately.

:ingo:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    On another forum, the topic of "Support the Troops" came up and apparently Michael Moore published an article talking about how when people say that they don't really mean it suggesting it's just words.

The thread turned to what other people do to say thanks for someone's service.

My wife and I typically will pick up the tab for any serviceman/woman we see while traveling thru an airport if we stop for a bit to eat - so, if we're at Chili's in an airport and see a two servicemen who appear to be either coming or going, we tell our waitress we would like to pick up their tab but we don't want them to know who did it - just a few thankful American citizens.

Would current military be offended by this act? A few posters, who have family members in the military, suggested that none of us should ever thank a soldier because they are offended by the thank you and they just want to be left alone.

I just want to make sure I'm not doing something which would really offend the military, and if I'm doing something wrong, I will cease immediately.

:ingo:

You're not doing anything wrong. Whether I appreciate a kind jesture or not doesn't inhibit my ability to appreciate the manner in which it was intended. I was brought up that you hold a door open for anyone, man woman or child. It's rude to let a door slam in anyone's face. I had a classmate that said she punched a man for holding a door for her.

You can't please everybody. If they're offended by your kindness than that's their problem.

Regular Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Myself and nearly all my family, wife included, are ex-military, and I don't think we'd be offended by your action if we were still in. We'd probably be humble or embarrassed about it, you know, "just doing our job", but we'd be thankful for sure. But to each his own.

One of our methods of support is plating all our cars with the Indiana "Support Our Troops" license plate. It's an extra $20 per plate but it goes into the Military Familiy Relief Fund, for military families on hard financial times (mainly National Guard).

BMV: Support Our Troops

There are a bunch of other military plates available, with the extra group fees going to the same fund. It's an easy way to help out.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    When I was on my first ship and in Boston Naval Shipyard, the year 1969, the protest against the war in Vietnam were in full swing, there was a couple of times that when me and my buddies went to pay for our food we were told someone had already paid. It made us feel that not all people were horses butts and hated us for serving, you are doing a good and nobel deed, My wife and I try to do the same.

Top Bottom