• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I just give them my driver's license and carry permit along with my registration and proof of insurance all at once. In the one in a million chance the a trigger happy cop notices my gun under my knee I don’t want to get shot. I’m not trying to start a debate but I’m just not that worried about telling the cop I’m legally armed.

Why in the world do you have your gun under your knee? If I see that on my approach we’re going to be having a very different interaction and subsequent conversation.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Wow, this thread. Former LEO, but in MI. At that time if you were carrying it was almost 100% that it was illegal because we weren't a shall issue state yet. As already mentioned, now we must inform. The advice from the IN officers is what I would give as well. I wonder why are so many of you getting pulled over?

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Because we want to show the LEO what we are carrying.

Wow, this thread. Former LEO, but in MI. At that time if you were carrying it was almost 100% that it was illegal because we weren't a shall issue state yet. As already mentioned, now we must inform. The advice from the IN officers is what I would give as well. I wonder why are so many of you getting pulled over?

jdthieke

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    There is no duty to inform, but it's very much appreciated by road.officers. be cautious when traveling out of state, diff states have diff rules

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You people are still talking entirely too much and by that I mean a single word. Stop it.

Kirk's dog... (Full disclosure, I stole this picture from Phase2's post. :):)

1MP8otA.jpeg

DC1711

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 9, 2018
    Auburn
    H.R. 218

With my hands still on the wheel I will inform the officer that I am a retired LEO and the fact that I am carrying and the location of the Gun. I will wait till he tells me what he wants me to do.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I always appreciated the ones who stated right away they had a weapon and a permit. Had a lot of people hand me their permit with their license too before telling me they were armed, good with that too.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    You people are still talking entirely too much and by that I mean a single word. Stop it.

I grew up in a family of lawyers, and they told me not to talk to the cops also, and to give them one of my uncles' or cousins' names if it was hairy enough to warrant that.

But sometimes a single word is the proper response. I mean, you can't just sit there mute and be expected to be treated nicely.

"Do you know how fast you were going?"
    "Yes."
    "Well, I clocked you at 52 in a 35 zone."
    "Ok."
    "Why were you going that fast?"
    "Im not going to answer that without my attorney present. His name is Tom Redacted."

Would you have a problem with those single word answers in a traffic stop? I never admitted that she was correct.
    That actually happened, by the way, and I was doing more than 52 in a 35, and I just paid it. Cheaper than fighting it, that many years ago.

Also, I recommend to my friends that they read "Tactics For Criminal Patrol", if they can find a copy. I loaned my copy out, and I don't remember to whom, so I can't loan it out any more. It may be dated, and there may be newer training textbooks for cops, but it gives an insight into the nature of police behavior on traffic stops, and how to behave and react accordingly. Would you recommend this, or is there a newer text you can point us to?

JTL165

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 26, 2020
    Central
    My advice would be to not bring it up of concealed. If asked answer truthfully but no sense in going down that rabbit hole if not necessary.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Some years ago we were driving thru Petersburg Indiana around midnight on the way home from IU. My son and three buddies were following us. He got pulled over and we stopped a half mile down the road and waited. Soon he was on the way again. He said he informed the city officer that he had a pistol in the vehicle and the officer just said "okay. Drive safely" and let him go. I imagine he didn't want to deal with the hassle. Son wasn't speeding but officer said he wondered what 4 young men were doing out that time of night. (whole other issue.)

Top Bottom