• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Always. As long as you dont pull the trigger it will not go off. I have carried a Glock for 3 or 4 years now and has never gone off on its own.

Last edited:

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    You gonna ask the bad guy to wait a moment while you ready your gun so you can defend your self? I dont think they will...

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    No, im simply thinking in a saftey point of view. I dont carry yet! but i always keep my 19 with me. I go as far as always dry firing the pistol, that way the trigger is in the pulled back position. If i pick up my 19 & feel that the trigger is in the foward position, then i do not know the status of my firearm. If the trigger is back(in the dry fire position) then i know for sure there is not a round in the chamber...
    Im asking because i want to start CCing, but im a sticler for being safe. I have to be safe, i hate(strong word ) someone that is unsafe with a firearm..

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    One or (preferably) more training courses with any of the instructors who post on this site will resolve any questions or concerns, no matter what sidearm you decide to carry.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    No, im simply thinking in a saftey point of view. I dont carry yet! but i always keep my 19 with me. I go as far as always dry firing the pistol, that way the trigger is in the pulled back position. If i pick up my 19 & feel that the trigger is in the foward position, then i do not know the status of my firearm. If the trigger is back(in the dry fire position) then i know for sure there is not a round in the chamber...
    Im asking because i want to start CCing, but im a sticler for being safe. I have to be safe, i hate(strong word ) someone that is unsafe with a firearm..

Start with not feeling the trigger to determine the status of your gun!!!! If you aren't getting ready to shoot, the booger picker should never be on the bang switch. A basic, simple, and overriding principal of handling your firearm safely is that your gun is ALWAYS loaded, no matter what. Treat it like that, don't cover anything you aren't willing to destroy (especially when engaged in dry fire practice), treat it as always loaded, and keep your finger off the trigger.

I always carry my XD, for so long as I still have it, with one in the chamber. To many scenarios (leaving the grocery store with a handful of bags, holding my wife's hand, etc.,) where a sudden attack would require a one handed response. I was, and to a certain extent still am, uncomfortable with the lack of a manual safety on such a light triggered arm. I'm far more used to a heavy double action trigger pull, but then realized that either way, I never ever put my finger on the trigger unless I intend to pull it. If you aren't comfortable carrying a round in the chamber with your Glock (and I think it's a legitimate concern, glad you are thinking about it) carry a gun that you are comfortable carrying a round loaded. But, you still gotta keep your finger off the trigger.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    CC in IWB (not against OC I just haven't gotten around to it yet) Always have a round in the chamber. There is nothing unsafe about keeping a glock locked and loaded. In fact, I feel it is much more unsafe to keep the chamber unloaded, because it just may cost you your life.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I always carry (and store the gun in a quick-access safe) with a round in the chamber. The gun is for self-defense and should be prepared for that use.

Joe's advice is good. I would agree with him in recommending taking a "Intro to Handgun" type course (check the training forum, several are being offered around the state during the next few months."

Memorize and think about the 4 safety rules. Those are the rules that will keep you safe and allow you to carry your pistol loaded. Treat it as if it is always loaded, don't point it at anything you are not willing to destroy, and keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until your sights are on the target and you are ready to fire. You should not check whether the trigger is forward or back to see if the chamber is loaded. If you are handling the gun and you have not just cleared it to ensure it is unloaded, then you treat the gun as if it is loaded, period. That means keep your finger out of the trigger guard! "Checking" things with your finger will lead to an accidental discharge down the road.

Remember, too, that Glocks have a chamber loaded indicator. So, while you have the gun pointed in a safe direction and your finger is outside of the trigger guard, you can feel and look at the chamber loaded indicator to verify whether the gun is loaded. Or, simply drop the mag, rack the slide a few times, and verify for yourself whether it is loaded.

If this is your gun you intend to use to defend yourself in the event of an emergency, you should probably keep it loaded and ready to go. It is worth it to think through storage and handling issues to get it so that you are at that point.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Did they ever change the box that the old glocks came it. had the circle in the trigger guard. Placing a loaded gun in a box is not the best practice but I once bought an estate collection that had every handgun loaded in the box with the box of ammo with it.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

+1 on keeping your booger hook off the bang switch.

That is not the way to check if your gun is loaded (then a couple sentences later you say "but im a sticler for being safe"...amazing)

Unload, check, re-chech, store ammo in a different room before dry firing. What you're doing is very stupid and wreckless. There were a lot of people that have been shot by an unloaded gun.

You need to learn the 4 rules of gun handling.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Next time you have your Glock apart for cleaning, take a look at how the firing pin works. It is actually plucked like a bowstring. It is safe so long as you don't pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger compresses a spring and then releases it, driving the firing pin forward. Loaded, with one in the chamber the firing pin is not under tension so it can't accidentally fire.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I CC and OC my Glock 26. Always have one in the chamber. Always have the gun in the appropriate holster while it's loaded.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    CC with one in the chamber, always. Like has been said, I don't think I would want to check my gun's readiness by putting my finger on the trigger. Not flaming you, just don't think that is the safest way. A good holster will keep your gun (trigger) protected. Good luck to you.

Top Bottom